+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Just ordered the 1200G!

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Enjoy Andrew, but save some dosh for a decent amp!!

Marco.
    Will do!

My System:

Turntable - Linn Sondek LP12, Kore, Lingo 4, Roksan NIMA, Lyra Delos Cartridge, Roksan HDC-03 arm lead, Trampolin 2 base, Tiger Paw Vulcan, Denon DCD-A110 Cd player, Tag Mclaren DAC20 Digital to Analogue Converter, SPM Interconnects, Nordost Red Dawn Leif Speaker cable, Spendor S3/5R2 Target R1 speaker Stands, Atacama ECO 60/40 hifi racks, Sennheiser HD565 Ovation headphones

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by allthingsanalogue View Post
    I've also done some research and it appears that they retained the magnesium tonearm for the 1200G!!!!!!!!!! See here http://www.technics.com/us/products/...00g.html#specs
    I stand corrected! The main difference between the GAE and the G is the top plate, which for the G is cast alloy, and none the worse for that.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Acoustics View Post
    I stand corrected! The main difference between the GAE and the G is the top plate, which for the G is cast alloy, and none the worse for that.
    The G also still has the cast machined top plate. The GR is cast and not machined.

In the end there was only 2 differences between the gae and g. The GAE has slightly different feet and also a badge on the deck!

My System:

Turntable - Linn Sondek LP12, Kore, Lingo 4, Roksan NIMA, Lyra Delos Cartridge, Roksan HDC-03 arm lead, Trampolin 2 base, Tiger Paw Vulcan, Denon DCD-A110 Cd player, Tag Mclaren DAC20 Digital to Analogue Converter, SPM Interconnects, Nordost Red Dawn Leif Speaker cable, Spendor S3/5R2 Target R1 speaker Stands, Atacama ECO 60/40 hifi racks, Sennheiser HD565 Ovation headphones

I'm Hugo.

OK, I stand corrected, again. To be fair, early information in the media did suggest otherwise, and Paul Rigby reported this time last year, presumably in good faith, that the G would have an alloy armtube (see https://thevinylfactory.com/features...terview-price/ ).

I'm Andrew.

OK, I stand corrected, again. To be fair, early information in the media did suggest otherwise, and Paul Rigby reported this time last year, presumably in good faith, that the G would have an alloy armtube (see https://thevinylfactory.com/features...terview-price/ ).
    No problem!

They obviously had a change of heart and decided to keep the magnesium arm on the G model.

My System:

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Enjoy Andrew, but save some dosh for a decent amp!!

Marco.
    The AU919 is a very fine amp and still gives many amps today a run for the money.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

What AU919? Andrew says he's currently using a (modded) £60 Cambridge A1. See here (post #27): http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...110#post912110

The bottom line is, he's got a £6.5k LP12 (and soon also a £2.5k Technics) going into a £60 amp... Therefore at the moment, his system is simply too 'front-end heavy', and really needs balancing out better in the middle, and realistically also at the end, although his speakers are probably still good enough to show the differences upstream.

If I was building a system, fronted by a £6.5k turntable, then in order to hear what it'd be capable of, I'd be looking to (wisely) spend around £2-3k on a phono stage, at least the same on an amp, and at least the same on speakers, to create a balanced system. Let's not forget that different rules apply, with the 'source first' principle, with turntables, compared with digital front-ends. And in that respect, 'reverse mullets' don't work.

As good as Andrew's little Cambridge is for the money, there's simply no way it's good enough to show his LP12 in its best light, and that'll also apply to the new Technics he's bought, which is why I said for him to save some money for a better amp. Quite simply, before he spends another penny elsewhere on his system, that's where his focus should be: finding an amp that he likes, which befits the rest of his system!

Because, being brutally frank and honest (for Andrew's sake and long-term benefit), with no offence intended, his concentration at the moment seems to be on spending lots of money on stuff he likes the looks of, and on turntables or CD players, thinking that's what matters most, and that 'any half-decent amp' will do, when the reality is rather different...!

Anyway Andrew, I hope you don't take umbrage at this post. I'm just simply being constructive and trying to help

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by allthingsanalogue View Post
    No problem!

They obviously had a change of heart and decided to keep the magnesium arm on the G model.
    I wonder how the people who rushed out to buy the limited edition first run of the GAE feel about the mainstream G being all but identical? Apparently, you can even buy the GAE feet from Technics to fit the G, so then the only difference is a badge and a great deal of money.
    Last edited by Ammonite Audio; 31-10-2017 at 11:00.

I'm Andrew.

I wonder how the people who rushed out to buy the limited edition GAE feel about the mainstream G being all but identical? Apparently, you can even buy the GAE feet from Technics to fit the G, so then the only difference is a badge and a great deal of money.
    Thanks for letting me know, better get some feet!

My System:

I'm Andrew.

Ive ordered the Yamaha AS-3000 as well!

My System:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast