+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Starting from scratch

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Rothchild View Post
    FLAC processing is asymetrical, it takes more processing to encode it with higher compression but they all take the same overhead to decode. Futility is in the eye of the beholder I guess imo the marginal extra time it takes is worth the space over a large collection.

https://xiph.org/flac/faq.html#general__asymmetry
    OK I'll take futile back, and replace it with trivial...

Example CD 'Grizzly Bear' 'Painted Ruins'...

FLAC album size;

Level 5 = 342,807,339
    Level 8 = 340,950,111

...so a saving of 1.85 Mb per CD, or approx 0.5%...so my 3k cd's would require 5.5 GB less, pretty trivial in the context of a 2TB drive...
    Cheers, Will

I'm Marc.

Not just disk space, bandwidth counts too.

Given that it makes no difference sonically and (for all practical purposes) in terms of time to rip etc why wouldn't you? Folk chase down 'the last n %' for their systems for cable etc, why not use all the tech available to glean network and storage efficiency too?

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Rothchild View Post
    Not just disk space, bandwidth counts too.

Given that it makes no difference sonically and (for all practical purposes) in terms of time to rip etc why wouldn't you? Folk chase down 'the last n %' for their systems for cable etc, why not use all the tech available to glean network and storage efficiency too?
    Because not all rendering devices are equally capable.
    It was an issue that kept on raising its head over on the Squeezebox forum.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Paul.

If you ripped them as Apple Lossless the first time around, copy them to the new machine and either stick with iTunes, or try Plex or any number of free players. A 500GB library will however be a fair few albums and iTunes wont be great to use at that size. Replacing the drive with an SSD will make a huge difference in that respect though.
    SBT/Chromecast/TEAC T1 into TEAC D-T1 DAC or olde-worlde Rega Planar 2 controlled by Rotel RC850 into HH S500D or DACT Passive Pre into Mullard 5-20 monos. Then into Tannoy Cheviots and a Wharfdale sub. All connected by colourful cables.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123