+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Starting from scratch

I'm tony.

Default Starting from scratch

I run an old Dell lap top that I used apple i player with. Ripped everything to flac. Sounded great.

Just got a newish acer lap top from my good lady and want to start a fresh-rip all my cds at full bit rate.

Can anyone help recommend a free player that will let me store everything on the lap top.

My computer skills are awful- I just want to build a digital library but without all the apple comparability problems.

If I could copy all my stuff from i player on the Dell it would be great but I dont know where to start!!!

Dont mind ripping a few hundred disks if thats what it takes.

Please keep it as idiot proof as possible.

I have spotify playing thrugh the dac ok. I can play a cd on the lap top just dont know how to store it on the hard drive.

Any help greatly received.

Thanks Tony.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by wee tee cee View Post
    I run an old Dell lap top that I used apple i player with. Ripped everything to flac. Sounded great
    What's apple i player?
    I've heard of iTunes, have a copy installed on my Windows laptop, and it doesn't rip to or play flac.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm tony.

yup its i tunes-think its stored at aac....whatever the highest quality setting is. the new lap top is windows 10 so i am really struggling.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I tunes is the work of the devil IMO Tony. :-)

Not free, but dbpoweramp is a very good way to rip all your cd’s. Just make your own music folder with a separate folder for each music genre. How much space does the hard drive have?
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm tony.

Ali,
    Im in agreement i tunes is evil. The lap top has 5oo gig. Is db power amp a player or just a means to rip bit perfect?

Might have to ask Gary for help!!!

I'm Grant.

Jriver does most of work for you and is a good player too. Not overly expensive in my opinion. Gary can set it up for you easy too
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by wee tee cee View Post
    Ali,
    Im in agreement i tunes is evil. The lap top has 5oo gig. Is db power amp a player or just a means to rip bit perfect?

Might have to ask Gary for help!!!
    dBpoweramp is both a ripper and a player but there are better players including the fantastic swiss army knife of players VLC (which is free). I can highly recommend dBpoweramp as a ripper and as an audio file converter. You can set it up to batch convert all your aac files to flac or whatever format you want. It has a free 21 day trial and the price is very reasonable as there are no annual licenses as with some products. I would strongly advise on buying it as part of a bundle along with Perfect TUNES which is a neat app to manage your music files (e.g. check the integrity of files, get the best artwork for rips and remove duplicate rips). For playing I would use VLC

Geoff

I'm Brian.

Gary's your man Tony . Ali knows his stuff too , but he's a bit far away
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    dBpoweramp is both a ripper and a player but there are better players including the fantastic swiss army knife of players VLC (which is free). I can highly recommend dBpoweramp as a ripper and as an audio file converter. You can set it up to batch convert all your aac files to flac or whatever format you want. It has a free 21 day trial and the price is very reasonable as there are no annual licenses as with some products. I would strongly advise on buying it as part of a bundle along with Perfect TUNES which is a neat app to manage your music files (e.g. check the integrity of files, get the best artwork for rips and remove duplicate rips). For playing I would use VLC

Geoff
    Geoff,
    Thanks for that, very helpful.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

I use dBPoweramp myself, so that's another recommendation.
    EAC is another decent ripper. The results are identical to the ones you'd get from dBPoweramp, but EAC is a bugger to set up right.

If you've already ripped your CDs to AAC, forget about converting them to anything else.
    You can't properly reconstruct a file if the bits aren't there to start with.
    If you want the full fat version you'll need to rip the CDs again, as AAC is a lossy format (ie it removes data), just like MP3 is.

As for the various media players out there, I don't really use them.
    When I do use one I use Foobar, because it does the job without having a nice GUI - GUIs always have higher processing power overheads.
    Foobar is a bit hair shirt, but once you get used to playing with it it's easy to use, and it's extremely flexible too, because there are plugins to expand its capabilities.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast