+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WTD: Pioneer DV717 or similar cheap CD transport

I'm Lawrence.

Good point I hadn't thought of that. Although could some better players have resampling software built in that improves the buffered data?

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Good point I hadn't thought of that. Although could some better players have resampling software built in that improves the buffered data?

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk
    No. If you can't hear any drop-outs or those nasty squawking sounds then the data is already as good as it gets. If you want a player with a DAC that upsamples that's a different ballgame entirely.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm gone.

Well, something makes different transports sound different.
    T'would be madness to make assumptions about what features are good and what are not based on idle musings.
    I'm more inclined to the philosophy that pretty much everything makes a difference.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    CD portables used memory buffers to make them 'jog resistant' but you don't see anyone chasing after them for their sound quality. .
    I think other factors may also come into play re: the desirability of CD portables for audiophiles.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    No. If you can't hear any drop-outs or those nasty squawking sounds then the data is already as good as it gets. If you want a player with a DAC that upsamples that's a different ballgame entirely.
    Missing data will not necessarily sound like a skipping/clicking/squawking but just an imperfect (or even less perfect) reproduction of the audio signal. l'm sure that a computer will reread a disc until it has all the data it wants, and I think some players have the same ability, although I don't know about "vintage" DVD players.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Missing data will not necessarily sound like a skipping/clicking/squawking but just an imperfect (or even less perfect) reproduction of the audio signal. .
    That is a commonly held belief but it isn't actually how it works.

As Jerry says, something makes transports sound different - and I agree that they do; whatever that may be, and there are several possibilities, the data read is not one of them.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Neil.

Default WTD: Pioneer DV717 or similar cheap CD transport

Regardless of tech I just found the ‘717 to be good sounding, less muddy than average, and also less gritty or harsh (digititis) than the average. One could easily spend £100s more and end up with an inferior transport.
    Last edited by Yomanze; 30-10-2017 at 20:01.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm paul.

look for a pioneer universal player of old..575a or 675a or something like that.
    buffered output as a transport,plays anything and probably one of the best transports for peanuts going(sounded half decent as a player to) in my humble opinion,and ive heard alot through out the years.
    biscuit tin build unfortunately,but you can do what goldmund did and take the innards and put it in a more expensive case.....then charge £5000+

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by smithie View Post
    look for a pioneer universal player of old..575a or 675a or something like that.
    buffered output as a transport,plays anything and probably one of the best transports for peanuts going(sounded half decent as a player to) in my humble opinion,and ive heard alot through out the years.
    biscuit tin build unfortunately,but you can do what goldmund did and take the innards and put it in a more expensive case.....then charge £5000+
    Yes, I have a 575 universal, very good bit of kit for the money. Would still be using it for DVD but it has no HDMI outputs. It spent a long time as my main cd player and confounded a few people who heard it. (One saw it before listening and asked 'Wtf is that supposed to be? Is that your source?' and was then shocked by the quality; another did not see it until after listening and had to check that is what we had been listening to as he didn't believe it. Good as a transport, too.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Quote Originally Posted by agk View Post
    Hasn't Bev of this parish got one of these that's probably not in use?
    Yes I have two of them and they are very good as a transport however neither is being used at the moment

The trouble is as they are worth so little it's not worth the hassle to sell them and parcel them up for shipping

I would consider the 717 as very well built
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast