+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Decca Blue

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    That's the plan. I am surprised it has not worked out as it sounded great when it was last on my deck.

One thing that may of happened is if the lid slides open slightly there is a contact that is touch with the top if the cartridge which may have failed ? They are delicate beasts and as I said to Oli they are fairly old, poorly manufactured and frail so this may of caused some malfunction. Easily remedied by JW so no problem

They are like a tin can full of coils and delicate bits of wire
    Certainly the standard of manufacture of most Deccas is poor to say the least, if not appallingly shoddy. However the spring leaf that makes contact with the lid is there to ground the case. If it fails all that will happen is the whole cartridge will be susceptable to hum.

If there is an open circuit between the centre tag and both left and right tags, then the lateral coil is definitely open circuit. To confirm the vertical coils are OK, measure the resistance between the left and right tags.

Even fully working Deccas are variable in SQ: I have three Blues: one good; one OK but indifferent, and one poor.
    Barry

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Unlucky Oli, something must have failed internally.

I will get it sorted and you will certainly have to come over and have a listen.
    Its on!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    Be wary of just sending it off without checking it, my Decca just didn't gel with the Slagle as a pre from the Vivant Phono stage, sent the Decca off and nothing wrong with it.

Got it back today, it's into the Vivant then the Xiang Sheng DAC as a Pre into my M50 power amp and it's perfect. Only difference in the chain prior to sending it to John Wright is the active pre instead of the passive Slagle.

I read somewhere that Deccas don't do well with passive pre amps, why I've no idea but it certainly didn't go well when I had the Slagle. If you have an active pre Oliver, try that first before giving up.

Will it make a difference, I've no idea, I still can't get my head round why a different pre would make any difference when all it's doing is controlling the volume coming from the Phono stage ?
    How interesting! I was convinced the Slagle/passive couldn't be the problem.

Will a buffer help do you think? Can get hold of one from Alan fairly Quickly to try.

Did you have low volume or recessed vocals, mike?

I have no volume issue. Just vocals and an echo chamber like effect on them.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    How interesting! I was convinced the Slagle/passive couldn't be the problem.

Will a buffer help do you think? Can get hold of one from Alan fairly Quickly to try.

Did you have low volume or recessed vocals, mike?

I have no volume issue. Just vocals and an echo chamber like effect on them.

It was low volume with me so my issue might have been different from yours. It was just an idea to check out in case you get same report as me if sent for checkup

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    It was low volume with me so my issue might have been different from yours. It was just an idea to check out in case you get same report as me if sent for checkup
    No mate, its a good shout.

I'm gonna send it back to Jimbo anyway. He has an active pre so he can try it in his system before doing anything.

I'd rather not make it worse if you know what I mean lol

I'm Mike.

Almost new Decca Gold just gone up for sale on PFM

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/s...d.php?t=208047

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456