+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mice in the loft

I'm Geoff.

On one of my projects in Uganda a health clinic was badly affected by a bat (i.e. flying mice) infestation. The infestation was so bad that the bat droppings had damaged the roof in the delivery room and bat shit was falling on women during delivery. Apart from the general infection risk there are several zoonoses associated with bats in East Africa. The clinic head officer dealt with the infestation by putting a ferocious moggie in the roof space and the problem was eliminated.

Geoff

I'm Phil.

wow , some years ago i went to pakistan to look at TB health promotion and i spent a long time preparing to work there but it never came to be , amazing experience . you must tell us more of your experences one day .
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Robert.

Hi Dave,

The fact the Rentokil man showed you where they are getting in means you are half way there.

A lot of people just focus on killing the mice and not blocking the point of access so the problem never really goes permanently.

All you need to do is buy a tube of ready mixed filler and mix with some cut up wire wool then fill the area well.

Use a sharp pair of small scissors to cut the wire wool but be very careful as the small cut up bits become mad sharp like little razors - ooucchh!!

I can assure you that if this is the only point of access they wont get in.

Curious though as to how they are getting so high up into the loft because if you can suss the point at the lower level that would be great too.

I'm Grant.

just watching a program on honey badgers... boy they are nasty buggers.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

How can mice get in the loft?

https://pestrevenge.com/can-mice-climb/

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    just watching a program on honey badgers... boy they are nasty buggers.
    I wouldn't say nasty but they are ferocious and fearless. On one occasion, in Botswana, we heard a noise near the waste bins. Six of us went to see what caused the disruption.It was a particularly muscular honey badger getting an easy meal on food scraps. It would not be put off by the crowd around it. It made a number of lunges to get us to back off before resuming its scavenging! I was impressed!

Geoff

I'm Dave.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

The building is a single storey barn, possibly 300 years old. They are climbing the timber cladding outside to make entry into the loft. They don't appear to be doing damage there as it is full of boxes and cartons for my stock and none have been chewed - I haven't even seen any poo. They just appear to enter, eat the poison bait or peanut butter in the traps and go, unless the traps get them.

There are numerous points they could enter by as it is an old building but the ones highlighted are just 3 or 4. I will attempt to fill them later today with wire wall and plaster as suggested but they are not easy to get to.

I wouldn't mind if it was just 1 or 2 mice but there must be hundreds. Apparently, the females are often born pregnant and if you leave just that one alone in the loft for a year, there will be 300 of the little sods..

I'm Grant.

got these for the boy when he had mouse trouble after some digging work down the road. these killed the buggers stone dead, mostly still in the bait box. can be used a few times.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Centurion-9...use+bait+traps
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Dave.

Thanks for that.

There are 3 of those, or very similar, in the loft. The Rentokil man put them in and they are loaded with a poison bait, stronger than normal. The boxes are tamper proof because of the strength of the poison. I'm sure that they, the poison seeds and traps are killing them but there is an endless supply of Mice.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    Thanks all for the suggestions.

The building is a single storey barn, possibly 300 years old. They are climbing the timber cladding outside to make entry into the loft. They don't appear to be doing damage there as it is full of boxes and cartons for my stock and none have been chewed - I haven't even seen any poo. They just appear to enter, eat the poison bait or peanut butter in the traps and go, unless the traps get them.

There are numerous points they could enter by as it is an old building but the ones highlighted are just 3 or 4. I will attempt to fill them later today with wire wall and plaster as suggested but they are not easy to get to.

I wouldn't mind if it was just 1 or 2 mice but there must be hundreds. Apparently, the females are often born pregnant and if you leave just that one alone in the loft for a year, there will be 300 of the little sods..
    Piss is the big problem with mice, they pee everywhere, trails of it. Get a black light or UV light and be prepared to horrified. Basically it will look like there was a pee explosion.
    Regards Neil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast