+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A return to vinyl that led me here

I'm Tim.

Default A return to vinyl that led me here

I moved to London from Chicago in 1998, expecting a 3-4 year stay wouldn't merit moving about 1,000 LPs across the pond only to need a new 240v system on this end while leaving my 120v one behind. Especially given the constraints of tiny London flats. So the collection went into storage. For the most part it's still there, and I am still in the Smoke, almost two decades later.
    Recognising that I was unlikely to return stateside, I decided each trip to Murica would be an opportunity to bring some LPs to London. A system would be necessary. Two years ago I bought a 1st series Sugden a48 in the teak case, Michell Focus One (since replaced with a Gerrard 401 with RB250/full OL mods/Ortofon MC15 Super) and a a Pro-Ject Phono Box S with what little cash was left. That front end drives ProAc Studio 125s. I'm pretty happy with that, and I could do better, but have no idea what I am doing (If I did I would have found a Sugden a21).
    By now about 100 LPs have made it across, as anyone familiar with vinyl knows carrying even 50 along with luggage is no small feat. I cherry picked some favourites, the Meters original pressing on Josie; Replacements Let It Be on Twin/Tone; Pharoah Sanders first pressings of Karma and more on Impulse! Al Green on Hi Records; original press of VU White Light/White Heat; Neil Young Tonight's the Night black Warner Bros label GF with poster insert, etc.
    I'm pretty patient but if anyone has thoughts on how to move 100s of LPs across the Atlantic without spending thousands I am all ears.

Like anyone, I'm contemplating updates to my system, which is pretty much just vinyl replay. I think for my money the best way forward is a servicing for the amp at Sugden (sounds fine but inputs stick and history is unknown), and after that the phono stage is the weakest link. So thoughts on what you would do here are welcome.

TL;DR: Hai! I'm slowly moving 1,000 LPs from the US to London and have 1st gen Sugden a48; Garrard 401/RB250 with full OL mods/Ortofon MC15 Super; Pro-Ject Phono Box S; ProAc Studio 125s. Thoughts on moving 100s of LPs across an ocean and best pound for pound upgrade path welcome.

I'm Richie.

Tim! Richie here. Your Focus was sold on through this very forum!

They are a good lot. Enjoy!

I'm Grant.

Welcome to the forum Tim.. Sure you will find a way. Some of the guys are well travelled. Open a post in blank canvas
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

montesquieu Guest

I brought 80 boxes, some books but mainly LPs, from the UK to Wellington NZ and back again some years later. Cost wasn't that huge, they went on a boat and took about three months each way, I imagine from the US it would take less than half that. Get a quote from someone like Allied Pickfords you might be surprised.

I'm Chris.

Warning! Be wary moving stuff TO Murica!
    Ed Vulliamy, journalist, had his entire LP collection IMPOUNDED and DESTROYED by US Customs!
    He wrote an article about it in Observer.
    (And he still owes me for 'Highway 61' (original, 1st issue!) I gave him to help revitalise his collection!)

But then....this IS century 21. Who needs vinyl? even CDs are just 'hard copy' for your HDD .
    Chris.

I'm Geoff.

Hello Tim. Welcome to AOS.

The Sugden A48 is a nice old amp, but I can understand you wanting an A21.

Tell us your thoughts on what direction your system will be taking (if any ).

There's much to get involved in here, so take a look around and have a chat with the members.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Tim.

Hey Richie hope you are well. I'm in India ATM halfway through a three month assignment. Will get in touch when I am back. Tim

I'm Tim.

Hi Geoff. Not sure which way I am heading at the moment. To be honest as noted there ^ i am currently in Mumbai for assignment for three months so not really doing anything but streaming to a Bluetooth speaker in my hotel/flat! Depressing tbh.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by hornucopia View Post
    But then....this IS century 21. Who needs vinyl? even CDs are just 'hard copy' for your HDD .
    As long as you keep the original CD of course

+ Reply to Thread