+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disappearing hedgerows

I'm Dave.

Default Disappearing hedgerows

All around us, the hedgerows are disappearing at an alarming rate. The past three years or so, the farmers are digging up the hedges and chopping down trees so that was once enclosed fields are now prairies. 400 yards here, 500 yards there and there will be nothing remaining except the land.

Not only does this remove the windbreaks and hedges which held back snow from covering the roads but it is removing the homes of countless birds, bugs and animals. This probably accounts for why many people I have talked with, say that they have been plagued with mice.

To my eyes, these vast fields are nowhere near as pleasing as the smaller fields with hedgerows and trees and I do worry about the fauna. We have far fewer birds in the garden than we used to and Bees are few and far between.

The theory locally is that the Farmers are paid EU subsidies to remove the hedges but does anyone here have the definitive answer ?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I wouldn't worry about it. In ten years time it will all be built over!
    Have you listened to this month's choice in the Album Club?

Barry

I'm Andy.

There may not be any EU subsidies for much longer.
    Analogue
    301 / 3012 / 2m black
    401 / PU7 / AT33ev / Highphonics SUT
    Puresound P10
    Digital
    Vortexbox, SBT / Teac Dac
    Meridian 506.24
    Cambridge CXC
    Amps
    Glasshouse TVC or Quad 34/44
    Quad 303; 306; 606 or Bel Canto Set 40 or NG 300B Set Monoblocks
    Speakers
    Tannoy GRF Memory.
    Q Acoustic 3020.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    many people I have talked with, say that they have been plagued with mice
    No mice around here. The rats kill them all.

There's a definitely a plague of rats. I'll be getting the air rifle out and having another cull soon! (and I never miss )
    Mr. Tact!

Main system: MMs/ADCs/Low output MC's/One rare Japanese SUT/One scarce British phono stage/various tonearms/hefty Japanese DD TT and hefty Japanese BD TT and small British BD TT. 4 CD players/2 jitter buster/2 DACs/Valve buffer. TVC stepped attenuator or valve pre-amp or solid state pre-amp. Current dumping power-amp or either of two Class A SS power-amp or Class A EL34 valve monos or big Japanese (part Class A) integrated. Big dual concentric speakers/Smaller dual concentric speakers/Two way British compacts and full range speakers, amongst others. And too much more to list!

I'm Chris.

No definitive answer. But I can have a good guess what the bottom line is: Money.

I'm GettingFunky.

In France the farmers have realised that removing the hedgerows increases the soil erosion so are now replanting the hedges.
    Kevin

Funkified Technics SL1200 Mk2 (Funk FX-1200+, Techne-Audio modified DL-103/AT33PTG/II/, Funk Firm "Strata" platter, "Spin" bearing and BO!NG Isolation feet, MCRU/LDA PSU).
    Pioneer PD-S703.
    Battery powered Beresford Caiman II.
    Firebottle KIN fitted with NOS Telefunken Valves.
    Firebottle Monoblocks fitted with NOS Telefunken Valves.
    Electric Beach FH3 with Taket BatPure super tweeters.
    Graham Slee Solo Ultra Linear Headphone amp.
    Sennheiser HD540 Reference II & HD650.
    DIY Klotz MC5000/MS Audio interconnects.
    Talk cable 3 speaker cable.
    Neotech hybrid mains cables from MCRU
    Power Inspired AG1500

I'm Martin.

I'm thinking that at least a few years ago they were getting subsidies to replace the hedgerows? Also to keep the field boundaries overgrown to create 'wildlife corridors'.

At least your fields are still fields. Here they are becoming housing estates or massive warehouses.

I can see how it increases the efficiency of the farm, but in my view it should all have protected status down to the last bush. They can always increase productivity in other ways.
    Martin

Current Lash Up:

Sony X505ES CD Player * NVA P90SA passive pre / NVA A30 Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S Thompson

I'm Dave.

There has been a lot of talk in the media about growing and protecting hedgerows for all the obvious regions but still the farmers here in Essex and Suffolk are digging them all out. It's a real shame and I don't know why. If I get a chance to speak with a farmer, I will find the truth.

I'm Grant.

They are great for hiding your tank too for when we get invaded by the Euro army
    Regards,
    Grant ....

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    DENON DV2900 - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS - XIANG SHENG DAC\PRE\HEADPHONE AMP - AVANTREE OASIS CLASS 1 BLUETOOTH - AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 & OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES - WIN10 JRIVER23, SPOTIFY PREMIUM - ECHO DOT - SMSL M6 MINIDAC - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN's - Q ACOUSTIC BT3 actives - CANTON SUB - MAINS REGENERATED AND FILTERED.

I'm Neil.

Mana Acoustics Racks >> Custom Silent Media Server >> Halide Bridge USB (with AQVOX USB power) >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast