+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: More Heybrook TT2 questions - sweating the small stuff

I'm Svend.

Sorry, misread your post - I thought you had an external psu. Shane is best to comment on a non-TPS unit, but it doesn't seem right that there is hum. Is it coming from the speakers? Or does it still hum when all other components are off? As I said, mine is absolutely silent, running or not.

I'm Svend.

Quote Originally Posted by Matz View Post
    Hi Svend, looks like it's going to Audio One next weekend. Is Claudio still there? I read conflicting reports on CAM.
    Matz
    Sorry, you are quite right - Claudio is retired. But the guys at the shop will still be able to help, as they have lots of experience sorting out all things TT2 related, and should have spare parts if yours needs it.

I'm Matz.

Quote Originally Posted by Svend N View Post
    Sorry, misread your post - I thought you had an external psu. Shane is best to comment on a non-TPS unit, but it doesn't seem right that there is hum. Is it coming from the speakers? Or does it still hum when all other components are off? As I said, mine is absolutely silent, running or not.
    Hi Svend,
    There's no hum from the speakers at all. I turned off everything and switched on the table with my ear very close to the platter and I can hear a very light, almost inaudible buzz, perhaps it's normal, I don't know. I'll have the folks at Audio One test it and while they're at it give it a proper set-up. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers!

Matz

I'm Svend.

Sounds good Matz. Hope it's nothing serious.

I'm Shane.

I also thought you were referring to a TPS. I have occasionally noticed the same thing on my non-TPS TT2 on the rare days when it’s quiet enough to hear it in this house! The non-TPS turntables have their motors connected directly across the mains and are therefore fed with whatever waveform is coming out of the wall socket. If the mains is particularly distorted or noisy that can sometimes cause a slight vibration in the motor which is probably what you’re hearing. This is the main reason why dedicated clean power supplies such as the TPS which feed a pure sine wave to the motor can produce an improvement in the sound. It’s almost certainly nothing to worry about.
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

I'm Matz.

Quote Originally Posted by shane View Post
    I also thought you were referring to a TPS. I have occasionally noticed the same thing on my non-TPS TT2 on the rare days when it’s quiet enough to hear it in this house! The non-TPS turntables have their motors connected directly across the mains and are therefore fed with whatever waveform is coming out of the wall socket. If the mains is particularly distorted or noisy that can sometimes cause a slight vibration in the motor which is probably what you’re hearing. This is the main reason why dedicated clean power supplies such as the TPS which feed a pure sine wave to the motor can produce an improvement in the sound. It’s almost certainly nothing to worry about.
    Thanks Shayne, your observation is probably correct! It's good to have you around

I'm Matz.

Quote Originally Posted by Svend N View Post
    Sounds good Matz. Hope it's nothing serious.
    Hi Svend, I'm pretty sure the table is fine, just my mind playing silly games
    When was the last time you visited Audio One with TT2 related business?

Matz

I'm Svend.

Quote Originally Posted by Matz View Post
    Hi Svend, I'm pretty sure the table is fine, just my mind playing silly games
    When was the last time you visited Audio One with TT2 related business?

Matz
    Late last summer, just after I bought the TT2. It was having issues with the external power supply, so I brought it there and they sorted it out perfectly. BTW, when I walked in the door carrying the TT2, it sure got everyone's attention, even customers.... "That's a Heybrook!!! Great deck!" The TT2 has quite the rep here in these parts.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345