Quote Originally Posted by Matz View Post
My first question: What is your method of floating or leveling the arm as it tends to pull out towards the armrest even with zero tracking force.

2: What is your method of setting the VTF?

3: Do you find benefit in using a clamp even if the record is flat?

TIA to all replies.

Cheers!
Hi Matz,

I had one of these arms on my TT2 for a time, so hope I can answer your questions adequately.

1) Re. levelling the arm, first thing to do is set the anti-skate bias slider to zero. This is the little knob on the sliding scale below the arm, right adjacent to the lift. If it still pulls back, don't worry about it -- just let it come to rest as far back as it will go and balance it there.

2) Once the arm is balanced, you have a couple of choices as to how to set VTF:
a) use the big dial knob on the outboard side of the arm, which acts on a spring inside that housing and providing the down force...turn to your desired setting, check it with a force gauge, and you're done; or,
b) set the VTF dial all the way to max setting (3+) which effectively disengages the spring (yes, I know that's counter-intuitive, but that's how it works), and then slide the counterweight back and forth until you get the right VTF. Some say that this method sounds better, and at first I thought so too, but later listening I decided it just sounds different, not necessarily better. You can try both and decide for yourself.

3) I have never used a clamp on this table, so can't really comment. Keep in mind that if you use a clamp, you will have to reset the suspension to accommodate the extra weight. And then you must use the clamp for every record, otherwise the suspension will be out of whack. TBH, I'm not sure that there's enough spindle sticking up for a clamp to even grab on to.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions. Enjoy the TT2! Wonderful deck.

Svend