+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Query re DAC muting

Default Query re DAC muting

I have a question regarding DAC muting. I believe some DACs (or maybe all?) mute between tracks. Why is this? The subject became pertinent recently when I had a strange issue with my Beresford Caiman. I use this in a headphone system fed by a wireless optical connection from my Mac. I had ripped a CD (Traveling Wilburys) and whenever I play the ripped version via the above system I get some electronic noises between the tracks. This does not happen when I play the CD using another system and also does not happen when playing any other ripped CDs using the Beresford.

Listening closer, I hear a slight click between most tracks using the Beresford and wonder whether this is a mute kicking in which maybe, for some reason, does not kick in on the Traveling Wilburys rip? All very odd. Anyway, can anyone (particularly Stan I guess) shed any light on this?

Cheers

Phil

I'm notAlone.

It's a feature on all dacs when they get a certain signal (x00 I think).
    Some players can be configured as to when or if they have to send such a signal to the dac.
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Bishop View Post
    I have a question regarding DAC muting. I believe some DACs (or maybe all?) mute between tracks. Why is this? The subject became pertinent recently when I had a strange issue with my Beresford Caiman. I use this in a headphone system fed by a wireless optical connection from my Mac. I had ripped a CD (Traveling Wilburys) and whenever I play the ripped version via the above system I get some electronic noises between the tracks. This does not happen when I play the CD using another system and also does not happen when playing any other ripped CDs using the Beresford.

Listening closer, I hear a slight click between most tracks using the Beresford and wonder whether this is a mute kicking in which maybe, for some reason, does not kick in on the Traveling Wilburys rip? All very odd. Anyway, can anyone (particularly Stan I guess) shed any light on this?

Cheers

Phil
    Exactly what i'm getting Phil like a sizzle/click using optical lead into DAC.

Interesting, any idea what it exactly is? Andre, are you using a Beresford? A sizzling noise between tracks is probably as good a description as any, but I only get it on one ripped CD. Everything else just has a slight click (which I assume is the DAC muting?).

Phil
    Last edited by Phil Bishop; 15-02-2010 at 20:25.

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Bishop View Post
    Interesting, any idea what it exactly is? Andre, are you using a Beresford? A sizzling noise between tracks is probably as good a description as any, but I only get it on one ripped CD. Everything else just has a slight click (which I assume is the DAC muting?).

Phil
    I've ripped all my CD's to FLAC on outboard HDD the best possible way, if they were MP-3 i'd understand but there not... if i connect to DAC using audio in (Analogue) i don't get the problem.

No not Beresford it's a Maverick DAC..I've seen this complaint before somewhere with other DAC's but can i hell remember where! Actually the analogue connection sounds better so alls not lost for me.

I remember this controversy from years ago. DACs mute when faced with silence in order to get a better signal to noise ratio. It was a big con for those keen on measurements.

HFN test disc 3 has a track of manufactured digital zeros which gives silence but without the DAC muting. (I can't find my copy right now, must have misfiled it. Typical isn't it!)

Don't quote me on this but I would hazzard a guess that the CD with the hash between tracks has a very low signal which stops the DAC muting, and what you're hearing is the background noise of the DAC (or noise from the Cd itself)?

Certainly on my Sony 77ES Dat, when the DAC isn't muted, turn the volume up and the digital noise is atrocious.

Kris.
    Last edited by Kris; 16-02-2010 at 10:06.

Ok, found it. 1min 39 seconds of pure digital silence (all zeros). I've uploaded it as a .wav with EAC and If anyone wants it, pm me and I'll give you the link.

Kris.

I'm Chris.

This is the sound of the DAC locking onto the digital signal. If you get clicks between tracks, this means that your source is dropping the signal between tracks.
    iFi ZEN Stream/TV/CXC >> RME ADI2 DAC >> XTZ Edge A2-300 >> Rogers LS8a

PC >> Hugo 2 >> iFi Pro iCAN Sig >> Raal-Requisite CA-1a

Kris & Chris,

Thanks for the info. Still not sure why I don't get this with my main system downstairs, but get it with my wireless system upstairs. The wireless system comprises an Airport Express feeding the Caiman via an optical lead. Also, funny why I get it with some tracks/ripped CDs and not others.

Phil

I'm Nobody.

This type of thing gets to me after awhile, i often think this digital lark aint worth the bother, i'm in the process of dumping it for a full analogue system.I never had half the headaches with it than i do digital this that & tuther.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast