+ Reply to Thread
Page 89 of 453 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199139189 ... LastLast

Thread: What Jazz or Blues are you spinning?

I'm Geoff.

That's one of my absolute favourites. He is hugely influenced by Alice Coltrane; my favourite jazz musician. If you dont know her, some of her stuff is challenging to say the least, but her Ptah the El Daoud set and Journey in to Satchadinanda are brilliant modal works. My favourite is probably A Monastic Trio. Later, I love the Translinear light album.
    Quote Originally Posted by Svend N View Post
    Listening to his 2011 "On the Go" album now -- also excellent! The track "Samantha" is sublime. This guy has talent. Thanks for the intro! My kinda jazz

Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    Halsall straight outta Manchester, great stuff!
    The Gondwana Orchestra are great live too.

Try this ...Build an Ark...Dawn

and Build an Ark... Love

Bit of background on Bulid An Ark

Build An Ark is a Los Angeles based creative music ensemble that was formed as an immediate peace action. During the hysteria after the events of 9/11/2001 the band came together to promote calm and peace in the world. The band is lead by producer Carlos Niño and vocalist Dwight Trible and includes members such as (Tribe Records founder) Phil Ranelin, (Pan Afrikan People's Arkestra elder) Nate Morgan, Adam Rudolph, (co-founder of the Pharoahs) Derf Reklaw, Alan Lightner, Lesa Terry, Joshua Spiegelman, Peter Harris, Trevor Ware, Baba Alade, Andres Renteria, Tracey Hart, Gaby Hernandez amongst others.
    My son and i will definitely check thia out. I have the recent Dwight Treble album and the Rebirth set from Tribe. This can't fail to be good!
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.

I'm Svend.

Quote Originally Posted by oldius View Post
    That's one of my absolute favourites. He is hugely influenced by Alice Coltrane; my favourite jazz musician. If you dont know her, some of her stuff is challenging to say the least, but her Ptah the El Daoud set and Journey in to Satchadinanda are brilliant modal works. My favourite is probably A Monastic Trio. Later, I love the Translinear light album.
    Hi Geoff, I'm not that familiar with Alice Coltrane's music...only in passing when I hear a track on radio or in a playlist. I will dig through her albums on Spotify soon. In the meantime I will explore more of Halsall's stuff -- I had never heard of him until your post yesterday. I really like it! As a side comment, he is one of a few contemporary jazz musicians that I have heard who play with real soul and heart. A lot of what I hear from the young players seems a bit sterile and constrained. Halsall's music is different, and I like it.

Best,
    Svend

I'm Adam.

Geoff I suppose we had to dig some Alice out!
    Great forum, great music!

Journey in Satchidananda

"lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Adam.

inspired by the Alice Coltrane post

Afro-Harping is an album by jazz harpist Dorothy Ashby recorded in 1968 and released on the Cadet label.
    It is GREAT!!
    Could be in my top 50 records of all time!

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Svend N View Post
    Hi Geoff, I'm not that familiar with Alice Coltrane's music...only in passing when I hear a track on radio or in a playlist. I will dig through her albums on Spotify soon. In the meantime I will explore more of Halsall's stuff -- I had never heard of him until your post yesterday. I really like it! As a side comment, he is one of a few contemporary jazz musicians that I have heard who play with real soul and heart. A lot of what I hear from the young players seems a bit sterile and constrained. Halsall's music is different, and I like it.

Best,
    Svend
    I think he plays lika a true listener. He has a reverential respect for the greats and uses it to create something new.

I'm Geoff.

inspired by the Alice Coltrane post

Afro-Harping is an album by jazz harpist Dorothy Ashby recorded in 1968 and released on the Cadet label.
    It is GREAT!!
    Could be in my top 50 records of all time!

I have a Dorothy Ashby album that I've not listened to. I'll sort that out!

I'm Svend.

I think he plays lika a true listener. He has a reverential respect for the greats and uses it to create something new.
    Well said.

I will keep my eyes open to see if he ever comes on tour in these parts. I'd bet he puts on a great live show.

I'm Adam.

VERY EXCITING!!! Just Landed, can't wait to get home and spin it.

The Lost John Coltrane Album - Both Directions at Once - Double Vinyl limited Edition, out takes of out takes if you know what I mean
    and a couple of nice new original cuts.
    How on earth did these tapes stay unissued for so many years??
    I think there are taster cuts on the Tidal/ Spotify platforms
    Get the Vinyl whilst you can.

Below is a link very nice piece indeed, written on the unveiling of the Recording, at RVG's Studio in Englewood Cliffs.
    LP is released TODAY (29th June 2018)
    Full Album Also available on streaming platforms... and in Master quality on Tidal

https://www.stereophile.com/content/...glewood-cliffs

I'm Svend.

Adam,

Have you listened to it yet? Any comments, mini review?

Great Stereophile article -- thanks for posting that. Interesting stuff.

+ Reply to Thread