+ Reply to Thread
Page 90 of 453 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100140190 ... LastLast

Thread: What Jazz or Blues are you spinning?

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Svend N View Post
    Adam,

Have you listened to it yet? Any comments, mini review?

Great Stereophile article -- thanks for posting that. Interesting stuff.
    Hi Svend
    Yes i have spent a couple of nights with it now. I feel I have only just scratched the surface!

I have to say firstly, IMHO some of Coltrane's music is not an easy listening by any stretch.
    I personally love his ballad playing and when he slows down, I find his choice of phrasing and notes utterly compelling.

Both Directions at Once (I have the double Vinyl with untitled versions of takes) is not a ballad LP.

The 'tunes' here are generally material that is a vehicle for some serious blowing from JC., as of course is most in this genre.

Of great Interest here is the inclusion of the studio version of 'Impressions', previously only a live release.
    The chemistry of 'the Greatest Quartet in Jazz History' is just breathtaking. The atmosphere Rudy Van Gelder captures
    is typical of the great technicians mastery.

The speed of the playing on 'Impressions' is nothing short of amazing. And it goes into turbo overdrive on 'One up, One Down'.
    But do not let that put you off, the interplay and artistry is off the scale.

Nature Boy is given the Trio treatment, minus piano, i can only imagine McCoy Tyner was caught short and headed for the bathroom for a number 2.
    This trio cut gives the tune a different dimension. I love it. Jimmy Garrison on bass, keeps the whole thing bumping along with solidity and authority. Elvin Jones on drums, rides the Cymbal and underpins the whole proceedings with the delicate rumble of the kit.

The cut 'Slow Blues' is ...well a Slow Blues and as I said earlier feel more connection with this tempo of Coltrane's expression.
    But even here, later in the cut, when he feels it, he wigs out and it takes on a different tempo.

The cut 'Villa' (Coltrane a well known fan of the Birmingham team ) is a lovely happy bounce that has Coltrane in mid tempo
    blowing and Elvin Jones is very busy filling in.

There are several 'untitled Original' cuts with numbers as names, for example 'untitled Orginal 11386' has Coltrane on soprano
    saxophone, and is a real highlight of the session. McCoy piano solo is perfect. Then a brief Drum 'N Bass solo.

The double vinyl deluxe edition has duplicate cuts but different takes, each one different, so yes worth getting.

The sound quality of the session is great, sometimes a little bass heavy but that might be just me. The quality of the Vinyl, superb. The die Cut cover on the Deluxe version, a little underwhelming but it has some lovely metallic embossed type (gotta love a bit of embossing!) I actually prefer the packaging on the single LP edition. And Yes, I have purchased both!

Most 'Lost' or 'Shelved' records by iconic artists featuring multiple outages are generally just that, out takes and one can usually hear in the performances why they were shelved or at least try to work it out. Here it's simply impossible to understand how such stellar material by the greatest Saxophonist in history has remained unissued for so many decades.
    A rare thing indeed, a 'Lost' lp that doesn't disappoint in the slightest.

Check it out on your streaming service, but be sure to give it the respect and time it deserves IMHO this is important as i feel it may take several listens to 'get it'. That's not me trying to patronise, it's just Coltrane's music grows and grows with the listener. Personally i'm still trying to get to grips with his Lp 'Giant steps' and well, A love supreme is a life times listening, I feel I may never get to the bottom of it!

"lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Svend.

Adam - wow! That's more than a mini-review. You should be writing for Downbeat or Jazz Times!

I'm busy at work at present, but will read through your excellent review later when I have more time, and get back to you with a reply. Lots to talk about there!

Cheers,
    Svend

I'm Geoff.

If you haven't heard it, Coltrane's 'Crescent' set, is my favourite album of his yet it seems to get very little attention at all.

https://open.spotify.com/album/0O6Wx...RamQ_XBjf8-wYA
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

I'm Svend.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    Hi Svend
    Yes i have spent a couple of nights with it now. I feel I have only just scratched the surface!

Check it out on your streaming service, but be sure to give it the respect and time it deserves IMHO this is important as i feel it may take several listens to 'get it'. That's not me trying to patronise, it's just Coltrane's music grows and grows with the listener.

Adam,

Again, thanks for the insightful and thoughtful review of the new album. I've just found it on Spotify, and will play it tonight if I have some quiet time (unlikely, as there are a bunch of young folk descending on our house tonight...fun!). Quiet, undisturbed listening is clearly what this album wants, from your description. Looking forward to getting to know it. And I agree completely -- Coltrane's music is not always easy to plumb at first listen. It takes some contemplation and the ability to just let one's mind go with the music to grasp what he was trying to say. I'm not trying to get all philosophical and profound here, but some jazz is just like that...I have some Miles Davis albums that are "difficult" for many people, and I can't hear them on any old day either, but at the right time they are incredible.

I have to say firstly, IMHO some of Coltrane's music is not an easy listening by any stretch.
    |
    I personally love his ballad playing and when he slows down, I find his choice of phrasing and notes utterly compelling.
    |
    Personally i'm still trying to get to grips with his Lp 'Giant steps' and well, A love supreme is a life times listening, I feel I may never get to the bottom of it!
    Agreed -- we have his Ballads album on CD, and if it had been on vinyl we'd have worn out the grooves by now, that's how often we've played it. Outstanding! One of our top 5 jazz albums. Blue Train is also excellent. I'm not familiar with Giant Steps, but A Love Supreme yes -- we have it on vinyl...a classic.

Thanks for the intro to Both Directions. This thread really is the best! Expanding one's musical horizons, without judgement of other's tastes. Long may it live!

Have a great weekend!
    Svend

I'm Svend.

Quote Originally Posted by oldius View Post
    If you haven't heard it, Coltrane's 'Crescent' set, is my favourite album of his yet it seems to get very little attention at all.

https://open.spotify.com/album/0O6Wx...RamQ_XBjf8-wYA
    Geoff -- good one. You're probably right, it doesn't seem to get much attention. I am not familiar with it at all. Not surprising, though, as Coltrane created a huge body of work. Incredible really. Still so much to discover there. Thanks for the head's up on that. We use Spotify, so will give it a listen soonest!

Cheers,
    Svend

I'm Adam.

Hi guys, Geoff's right, Crescent is wonderful, for me 'Wise one' is transcendent.

Svend, listen to Naima from Giant Steps. It's end game!!
    Giant Steps is an island on its own. It's that good. Enjoy.
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Svend.

Will do Adam! Better get the headphones out then, as I doubt my wife will tolerate all that Coltrane this weekend . She likes it, but in smaller doses (Ballads being the exception)...

Best,
    Svend

I'm Geoff.

Hi guys, Geoff's right, Crescent is wonderful, for me 'Wise one' is transcendent.

Svend, listen to Naima from Giant Steps. It's end game!!
    Giant Steps is an island on its own. It's that good. Enjoy.
    Wise One - my favourite in a seminal set! Giant Steps - it doesn't get much better in the history of jazz.
    Last edited by oldius; 30-06-2018 at 06:35.
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.

I'm Geoff.

Just listening to Jade Visions, from Bill Evans Live at the Village Vanguard. The textures and subtle interplay are incredible. Musicianship of the very highest order.

I'm Svend.

That's a wonderful album Geoff. If you don't already have it, Waltz for Debby was recorded at the same Village Vanguard sessions, apparently the day prior. Bill Evans at his best, both albums.

+ Reply to Thread