+ Reply to Thread
Page 93 of 453 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103143193 ... LastLast

Thread: What Jazz or Blues are you spinning?

I'm Grant.

Probably should introduce folk to this gem from the great professor longhair....Rockn Roll Gumbo

Recorded in 1974, this album almost never saw the light of day. Fortunately, the master tapes were found and the album was released posthumously. Professor Longhair was a giant in the New Orleans music community, but had not recorded in over ten years when he was convinced to start playing again. From the opening riffs, one can understand the stature of Professor Longhair as a great pianist -- he demonstrates that he is equally at home playing rhumba boogie, blues songs, and calypso. He plays New Orleans standards (many penned by himself), but what makes this recording a classic is the chance to hear him play with guitarist Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown. The interplay of these music veterans is mesmerizing. The piano playing is breathtaking, and has a percussive quality unlike any other player before or since. It is hard to believe that Professor Longhair languished in obscurity for so many years after hearing the jubilance of "Mardi Gras in New Orleans," a song that will have you tapping your feet and hands as if you were in the parade. This album is essential for fans of New Orleans music and those aspiring to be rock & roll pianists.

Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Svend.

Good one Grant! I just listened on Spotify. Love that Louisiana blues sound Thanks for the intro to that.

Best,
    Svend

I'm Grant.

Glad u liked it Svend. The mans a classic example of missed genius.
    He learned to play on a piano missing many of its notes so played some odd notes and keys. Although he is s very accomplished pianist he still liked to play in this style

He was also mentor to many including dr John and Allen toussaint.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Svend.

I've long been a fan of the Louisiana blues and jazz sound. Just an incredible incubator of talented musicians, many of whom have gone on to become world famous. I will start exploring some of Longhair's stuff. I was amazed to find so much of it on Spotify. Wonderful story about the missing keys on the piano! Thanks again - great tip.

Svend

I'm Grant.

top album of swing etc....

PS, Radio JRiver is on the air via Jriver24.... Good jazz channel plus classical, rock etc... Flac streaming
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Svend N View Post
    I've long been a fan of the Louisiana blues and jazz sound. Just an incredible incubator of talented musicians, many of whom have gone on to become world famous. I will start exploring some of Longhair's stuff. I was amazed to find so much of it on Spotify. Wonderful story about the missing keys on the piano! Thanks again - great tip.

Svend
    indeed... huey piano smith was another of the great teachers.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Now, the Boss..

Big Joe Turner

Here is a good biog of the great man...https://www.allmusic.com/artist/big-...0726/biography
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

A Dr John take of Duke Ellington.

Dr. John and his lower 9-11 band impart their own subtly sassy N’Awlins-style hoodoo to the work of Duke Ellington on this album of covers. Most of the songs here will be familiar even to jazz dabblers (“Satin Doll,” “Moon Indigo”), and at times John is a little too reverential, treading gingerly when a more consistently “fonkified” approach might have better filled the bill. But his take on “Caravan” is an out-there reinvention for Hammond B-3 organ and string-popping funk bass that briefly quotes Ramsey Lewis’ “Wade in the Water.”
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Default What Jazz or Blues are you spinning?

Here comes the sun...nina simone- 4 men in beards reissue..

Nina's take on some well known pop standards....some work better than others tbh, but its quite well engineered.

Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

lead belly.. ....you don't know my mind

Born circa 1889 in rural northwest Louisiana, Lead Belly rambled across the Deep South from the age of 16. While working in the fields, he absorbed a vast repertoire of songs and styles. He mastered primordial blues, spirituals, reels, cowboy songs, folk ballads and prison hollers. In 1917 Lead Belly served as Blind Lemon Jefferson’s “lead boy”—i.e., his guide, companion and protégé—on the streets of Dallas. A man possessed with a hot temper and enormous strength, Lead Belly spent his share of time in Southern prisons. Convicted on charges of murder (1917) and attempted murder (1930), Lead Belly literally sang his way to freedom, receiving pardons from the governors of Texas and Louisiana. The second of his releases was largely obtained through the intervention of John and Alan Lomax, who first heard Lead Belly at Angola State Prison while recording indigenous Southern musicians for the Library of Congress.

Alas Huddy died 6 months before he became famous...isnt it always the way/
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread