+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 453 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: What Jazz or Blues are you spinning?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Cheers, Adam. I certainly enjoyed it!

This is what I'm currently listening to, a classic on Blue Note, which is quite different from Monkey Jungle, slightly Mingus-esque and 'out there'. I'm loving the cool 60s vibe...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Now this:

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyse6748 View Post
    What a great album this is!!! Just Stunning

Peter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Good egh Peter, she's quite handy with that bass !!
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Cheers, Adam. I certainly enjoyed it!

This is what I'm currently listening to, a classic on Blue Note, which is quite different from Monkey Jungle, slightly Mingus-esque and 'out there'. I'm loving the cool 60s vibe...

Marco.
    That Shorter date is marvelous, I'm going to dig out Wayne shorter's Speak no Evil
    music matters 45rpm bizniz !!
    Love these sides.

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

montesquieu Guest

Keep it up chaps. I signed up for a two albums a month subscription thing (the De Agostino Jazz on Vinyl series) precisely because my knowledge of jazz is so limited, and this was a good way to get to know more about it and find new avenues - and it's definitely worked in that regard. (It's also functioned to confirm what I hate ... I once left an Ornette Coleman gig at half time because I was - and remain - convinced he was taking the piss - free jazz, I just can't handle it at all).

Anyway I've had a few new leads here already

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Keep it up chaps. I signed up for a two albums a month subscription thing (the De Agostino Jazz on Vinyl series) precisely because my knowledge of jazz is so limited, and this was a good way to get to know more about it and find new avenues - and it's definitely worked in that regard. (It's also functioned to confirm what I hate ... I once left an Ornette Coleman gig at half time because I was - and remain - convinced he was taking the piss - free jazz, I just can't handle it at all).

Anyway I've had a few new leads here already
    Haha.. yes imho, I have to agree to an extent a lot of 'free jazz' is having a laugh.
    But it's an interesting subject actually. The "New Music" as it was called at the time, late 50's early 60s,
    Was a reflection of social unjust and alienation. We have to remember these musicians knew how to read and play in
    The structured and conventional way, so this direction was a decision they took. These were young, mostly men, often very angry and frustrated by society and what America had done and what it had to offer them.

If you take John coltrane for instance, there he was at the height of his career, famous, in demand, relatively wealthy and creatively at his peak. He led the most in demand and highly rated quartet in the genre. After producing arguably his masterpiece, A Love Supreme, he literally over night, disbanded the quartet.
    He stated he did not want the confinement of the conventional Jazz set up where the rock and epicentre was the piano, so he basically sacked McCoy Tyner and changed the line up bringing in Rashied Ali, to be the second drummer along side Elvin Jones. (Elvin by the way was having none of this)
    The rest is history as Coltrane entered his "free period". He wouldn't acknowledge the word 'Jazz' as that pigeon holed his music and refused to play the club circuit as it confined him to hour long sets, indeed at this time a coltrane horn solo could last an hour easily! But the point is, these were technically gifted, trained sight reading musicians who chose to take that route at a point in their careers. Commercial suicide. The music was slated!! Down Beat, the Jazz journal bible killed them.
    People we're outraged.

Some of the recorded avant-garde stuff stands up pretty well 50+ years on as it took no trend so became timeless. There is a fascinating book on the whole 'New Music" movement of the time entitled 'As serious as your life' by female British writer, who loved jazz and went to live In New York, Val Wilmer. She gets up close and really digs deep into these musicians. It's a good read. The coltrane documentary, Chasing Trane, is a great film and touches heavily on his change of direction.

So taking the piss or an expression of art, the soul and energy?
    Many years ago, I walked laughing out of a gig by American saxophonist Don Byron, when he started to play a hosepipe
    And was accompanied by a chap banging a bent wood saw. I'm pretty sure they were taking the piss!! Although everyone around me seemed to take it very seriously with much goatee stroking..
    Having a laugh or did I just miss the point?!
    Na.. they were definitely taking the piss!

Glad you're enjoying the new section, Tom. Adam knows his stuff!

Right now, another classic, this time from 1961: Kirk's Work, with Roland Kirk and Jack McDuff:

Awesome!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Geoff.

Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

I'm Adam.

Going British this morning, home grown
    Premier league jazz music
    Don Rendell & Ian Carr Dusk Fire

The title cut is utterly sublime.
    Grab the 2for1 CD which also has the LP Shades of Blue

I'm Geoff.

Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 453 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast