+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Big thick chunky speaker cables?

I'm Paul.

Although people may have found in pratice that cables with passive networks on colour the sound this is not the idea. The idea is that the network acts as a balancing element to counter the cables properties. ie, capacitance is balanced with inductance etc. Also there is an element of HF filtering hopefully way outside of the audio band so there is no effect on the phase response at what could be considered audiable.

The problem I have with this is that purely by adding any components to a cable you will colour the sound in some way, although you may be able to measure the "corrective" effects.

The other thing with passive networks is that the result in the real world is inconsistant as it depends on the source and receiving impedances.
    ~Paul~

I'm notAlone.

You know, Mark, depending on the speakers and amp, bi-wiring often brings nothing really : bi-ampling does.
    Have you already tried bi-wiring with simple 2,5mm or 4mm copper cable ?
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

I've tried bi-amping before , twice actually , but I can't find another matching Classé power amp anywhere (and don't really have the funds either)

This is only a play around experiment. I'm not looking at spending £x00s on wires. Just a few quid out of my beer token fund to see if it's worth it in the long run.

If bi-wiring doesn't work then I'll just throw large spades over both runs and have them as extra thick normal stereo cables.

It seemed to add something when I put the MIT cables in the system so I want to know if it was the thicker cable , the fancy cable , the bi-wire runs or the funny boxes attached to the wire.

Only one way to find out , and that's suck it and see.

Wink

OK, this will throw the cat amongst the pigeons! In my opinion:

An poor amplifier unable to drive difficult loads will sound better with weedy cable.

A good amplifier able to drive difficult loads will sound better using big thick wire.

www.soundhifi.com/cable.html is some of the cable I use and we can match any price, at least 50% if not much more off the price!

Regards

Dave

I don't see any 4 core 6mm thick cable on your website, am I missing something?

ha ha

at least 50% if not much more off the price!
    That's because you're charging pretty much double what everyone else charges.
    Last edited by Marc B; 15-02-2010 at 13:13.

Unhappy

OK, I'll bow out.

Dave

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Bi-wiring seems to work, or at least change the sound, on some setups, but good speakers don't usually need it. In fact, I can see two speaker manufacturers who have now all but abandoned the concept with no complaints...

try it and see and please report the outcomes...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm NotSoPissedOffNowCosMyHiFisUnpacked.

Indeed, although my Focal's are not particularly expensive (compared to some), they sounded significantly better than some other more well known brands I auditioned before making my final decision.

I was very surprised to discover that neither the 700v or 800v series are bi-wired!
    Ian
    http://www.hifisounds.co.uk

Photo bucket - loads of mods!

SL1200- DIY PSU- DIY FET int regs-Denon DL103 by Expert Stylus Company on Isokenetic stabiliser & Sumiko HS-12 shell- Achromat - Isonoe feet, Meridian 200 Phono satge, Junson JA-88D, Audio Aero Capitole CD/ DAC, extreme modified Marantz SA7001, Squeezebox Touch modded to death!, Focal 826WSE- Kimber 8TC, Kimber and CAT5 attenuated DIY Interconnects, Kimber mains

"Leave Nothing as Standard"

I'm notAlone.

No Sonus Faber are bi-wirable or bi-amped or whatever, afaik.
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cawley View Post
    A good amplifier able to drive difficult loads will sound better using big thick wire.

www.soundhifi.com/cable.html is some of the cable I use and we can match any price, at least 50% if not much more off the price!
    Dave, is there any difference (qualitatively) between the 6.0mmsq Premium Van Damme Studio Timestep Cable:

...and the 6.0mmsq studio grade, other than the sheath?

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast