+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Half speed mastering

I'm Adrian.

I've just received a few albums, including a remastered (by Vangelis) Earth and I have to say it's obvious that the top end has been tweaked but at the expense of ambience. It isn't terrible, but I'd much prefer the original as from memory it was better balanced.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post
    I've just received a few albums, including a remastered (by Vangelis) Earth and I have to say it's obvious that the top end has been tweaked but at the expense of ambience. It isn't terrible, but I'd much prefer the original as from memory it was better balanced.
    That's remastered and not half speed mastered Adrian?
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Adrian.

Ahh yes, my apologies, wrong thread! ... Wine...
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm paul.

Fleetwood Mac rumours arrived yesterday, had a listen today and it's very good, bums a bit sore mind from the customs charges. Couldn't find one in uk so bought the only one I could find in USA, life is too short and all that.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    I picked up the Abbey Road half speed mastered John Martyn - Solid Air
    I have the original and it's literally stunning in comparison to the original.
    If you see them. pick them up. I think it was £25, which in comparison to other premium pressings (MFSL, Music Matters, Analogue Productions..all £50 +)
    is a no brainer. Even relatively poor new vinyl reissues are up at £15 to £20 these days, the majority of which IMHO are pretty bad.
    Amazing mastering work, produced with passion.
    Just playing a copy - stunning! :-)

I'm tony.

Adam I bought one aswell im a big JM fan......fantastic sounding bit of plastic.

I'm Sandro.

WP_20171201_11_28_31_Pro.jpgWP_20171201_11_26_11_Pro.jpg
    On the spinner right now
    Miles Sketches of Spain MFSL 1-375
    10 out of 10

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by wee tee cee View Post
    Adam I bought one aswell im a big JM fan......fantastic sounding bit of plastic.
    ...seems we are getting the thumbs up for the Abbey Road Half Speed Mastering reissues, contrary to a few other's findings!
    A very enjoyable record.
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Sandro.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    ...seems we are getting the thumbs up for the Abbey Road Half Speed Mastering reissues, contrary to a few other's findings!
    A very enjoyable record.
    I would say thumbs up for same of the Abbey Road.....
    I have returned the Free fire and water as is IMO a really bad copy of a CD

I'm paul.

May as well keep this thread going. Bought another half speed mastered record from the Canadian reviewers collection, Bruce Cockburn dancing in the dragons jaws, excellent, I like every track.
    I was looking on Steve Hoffmans forum and people were asking what the 10 best sounding half speed mastered records were. Supertramp crime of the century came up several times and also dire straits first album, I'm ashamed to say I'd never heard it, had a listen on Spotify, really very good so have bought a half speed mastered copy, waiting for it arrive.
    I know some vinyl is very expensive, but, if we spend thousands on a set up, why not buy good vinyl.
    Not me but some spend 4 grand on a cart ffs, then go to charity shops looking for vinyl.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast