+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone into new pressings/re-releases on vinyl?

Default Anyone into new pressings/re-releases on vinyl?

Hi all,

Here in South Africa we have a bloke who consolidates new vinyl orders from customers and then orders in bulk to spread the costs of airfreight.

He sources vinyl from a number of suppliers, some in the USA, some in the UK, some in the Netherlands and some in Germany.

This facility gives individuals access to labels (some not usually found in eShops like Amazon) such as:

• Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab
    • Classic Records
    • Stockfisch (Direct Metal Masters)
    • Jeton (Direct Metal Masters)
    • DGG
    • ECM
    • Warner

He also takes one-offs and adds them to his shipping mainfest. This is how I managed to get a vinyl copy of "Fotheringay 2".

His approach should be replicable in other communities...

Dave
    If music be the love of food, eat on!
    SYSTEM:
    Linn LP12/HercII/Ittok LVII/Kontrapunkt 'h'/ /Theta Data Basic II & DSPro GenVa/ /Yamaha CDR-HD1300/ /Rotel RT-03
    Classe' CP500/ /2 x Jeff Rowland Model 201/ /Tannoy D700/ /PS Audio Quintet/ /PS Audio power cords & i/cs

I'm Nobody.

Through experience new issues on vinyl sound not as good as the original 1st issues.Trouble being 1st issues are worn by now as are the covers

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

There are a few deluded people who spend three times as much as the CD equivalent for LP's cut from digital (often) masters in the mistaken belief that vinyl is ALWAYS superior to the CD. Some of the Decca recuts will not have Decca's master-tape line ups, although Paschal Byrne of the Audio Archiving co. is an ex Decca engineer and works from the Belsize Rd premises still I understand and uses some Decca equipment still I think. the master tapes, discs and vaults are now secured elsewhere though...

I've been playing some 80's LP originals today and some of them do sound excellent. i can't afford to replace them on CD anyway, but I'd NEVER buy an LP redo at current prices as I believe them to be a ripoff...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Shaun.

DSJR, I agree with you that twenty quid or more for an LP is a rip off. Most of my new vinyl I get from Amazon or ebay but only if the price is right. I still buy a lot of vinyl but the cost dictates whether I buy CD or vinyl.

+ Reply to Thread