+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTD - bookshelf speakers.

I'm Jack.

Default WTD - bookshelf speakers.

Looking for bookshelf speakers for second system - consider Roksan TR5, Elac etc. Also desk top active monitors.
    Budget up to £500
    Jack NSM
    Last edited by Non-Smoking Man; 25-10-2017 at 08:19.

I'm Neil.

There is a pair of Royd Merlins on Pinkfish and eBay. Wickedly musical speakers.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Jon.

Epoz AktiMate Blue (http://www.aktimate.com/blue.html) - typically sell for between £450 and £600 new, but I bought a new pair on ebay a couple of weeks ago for £350.00. Overall size places them at the upper limit of the 'desktop/bookshelf' category and they would not look out of place, and probably benefit from, placement on stands. Beautifully finished in high-gloss black, red or white. Six inputs in total (3 analogue and 3 digital), 60W RMS/channel, inbuilt Wolfson 24-bit/192 KHz DAC, Bluetooth 4 aptX connectivity and a neat little remote control. Impressively musical, dynamic speakers that image well and possess a well-controlled and surprisingly extended 'tuneful' bottom end with sufficient 'grunt' for most musical genres and domestic settings, even, I should imagine, for the hard of hearing.

Mine were bought as a 'stand-in' whilst I'm in decorating mode and my main kit is packed away in protective custody. I'm using them with a DAB/FM tuner and a Marantz UD-7007 disc player. I tried the latter in both analogue and digital mode using the coaxial-out. Sound was fine with either, but I definitely preferred the digital over the analogue, indicating that Epoz have done a good job with their implementation of the Wolfson DAC.

Fed with a good source (player/material), the AktiMate Blue is, IMHO, a worryingly capable performer that I dare not let the wiffle hear for fear of reawakening her scepticism regarding the absolute necessity of my requisitioning a sizeable slice of her lifetime income in the pursuit of sonic satisfaction

My daughter, on the other hand, who has a good ear, diverse musical tastes, and appreciates what my full system can do, can't wait to get her hands on them when all the decorating is done .

Jon

I'm Pete.

I have a pair of Proac Studio1 speakers - the originals from 1988 rather than the Mk2 version - with Target stands.

These speakers still sound great for their size on the end of reasonably powerful amps - they were used with Meridian 205s, 100w, for their working life to date.

Sadly they are a little tatty: the grille cloths could do with replacing, 1 speaker has a few minor dinks due to being positioned too close to a doorway and the other has some colour fade due to being positioned too close to a window that caught the sun.

I will take some photos in reasonable daylight to try and highlight the dinks and colour fade.

If interested I would be looking for around £300 - not sure how much extra you would need to pay for carriage.

I'm Jack.

Default Still looking..

But the purpose has changed - now looking for a pair of budget bookshelf speakers - <£100. E.g., Dali, Q Acoustics.
    Jack NSM

I'm Micky.

Jack have a look on PFM at Alan Tiger thread about his tannoys up for £100 they are immaculate I’m sure a taxi could be organised Micky

I'm rupert.

Quote Originally Posted by Non-Smoking Man View Post
    But the purpose has changed - now looking for a pair of budget bookshelf speakers - <£100. E.g., Dali, Q Acoustics.
    Jack NSM
    I have a pair of oldish Q-acoustics which I use in my workshop. They are stuck right up to the wall and still sound pretty good (rear port bass reflex). I paid less than 100£ second hand.

I'm Shari.

I have a pair of Piega Classic 3.0 in piano black. Lovely ribbon tweeter. One small mark on them, other than that perfect. About 10 hours use. Cost 900, if your are interested I will do you a cracking deal.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Non-Smoking Man View Post
    Jack NSM
    Mission 780SE old style is always a shout.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    Mission 780SE old style is always a shout.
    Definitely!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast