+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: New Cables

I'm Edward.

Thanks for the PM Andy

As I suggested in my PM feel free to keep them for a bit longer if you wish.

Oli, after me who is next? I think I was the last (story of my life!) so I will send back to you.

Let's see if it is better than the ones you sent me today! (just joking mate)

E

Sent via Tapatalk
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    Thanks for the PM Andy

As I suggested in my PM feel free to keep them for a bit longer if you wish.

Oli, after me who is next? I think I was the last (story of my life!) so I will send back to you.

Let's see if it is better than the ones you sent me today! (just joking mate)

E

Sent via Tapatalk
    Haha, well, I have these ones in my system and sold you those ones, take from that what you will.

No worries, or rush Andy, just hadn't heard anything for a bit so thought I'd see what the status was. Hang on to them until Edward is ready. Have a good listen

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

cheers guys will do !

I'm Edward.

This cable presents me with a major issue!!

Only had them in my system for about a day or so and they are bloody fantastic.

Put them between my preamp and amp. Immediately I could notice the difference. Major difference is that the hf is more revealing of micro detail and forward. An absolutely delicious sound!

Will try in a different configuration (for example between my dac and preamp) later but suspect I will hear similar improvement. My current reference are Brian's excellent cables.

My issue is now me having to consider rewiring my whole system all the way from the power station to my speakers with Oli's secret sauce. I can't afford the tens of thousands of quid that would entail.

Hoping no one else wants to audition these cables and you will allow me to purchase them Oli?

Sent via Tapatalk
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

Bigman80 Guest

I'm really pleased you like them Edward. I have sent you a message.

I'm Edward.

So I moved these cables to between my dac and preamp (previous was between my pre and power).

Yet again a lift in sq. More soundstage depth and microdetail. Music now even more engaging. More able to 'see' into the sounds. All good.

A keeper! I'll send you a PM Oli. Mind you I will hold off for now getting another one as Oli your newer cable may even represent another step up.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    A keeper! I'll send you a PM Oli. Mind you I will hold off for now getting another one as Oli your newer cable may even represent another step up.
    I'm really pleased to hear that, Ed. I hope you enjoy them

Bigman80 Guest

Seeing as the demo pair have now been sold, i suppose a summary of the feedback should be made.

Summary:

The general conscientious is that the cables are very revealing, delivering detail in a smooth and very balanced manner. The bass is deep & taught and the mid range is rich but a little forward. HF is sparkling but they are very even handed in their delivery. Compared to Much more expensive cables, they performed very well and only lost out in the final degree of soundstage and resolution (£1000+ cables i should mention!).

These cables didn't suit everyone's system. The summery of that was, the cables were a bit harsh or thin sounding. One reviewer said they couldn't hear any difference between these and the Klotz, and a couple didn't leave any feedback at all.

Personally, i am really happy with the overall feedback and obviously, nothing is a "one Size Fit all" in HiFi.

Thanks to all who took the time to listen to these and especially those who provided feedback. Good and Bad.

Thanks to those who have bought a pair of "The Focus Cables" along the way too.

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Hi Oliver

I'll add my 2 pennerth of feedback, a bit late but my excuse is that I have been away in Italy eating and drinking far too much for the past week.

For context I would say I haven't experimented with any cables really and currently use "Chunky " cables from a guy in Ebay currently at £28 a shot which are copper OFC and have lockable plugs and a grey screening for shielding. So far no complaints about them at all and I've never had anything more expensive in there.

I put yours connected between my FB OTC phono to my headphone amp as my headphones are more revealing than my speakers for the 1st evaluation. So apart from the tone arm cable from my turntable (ZYX Yatra) to the OTC nothing else was in the path.

So I played Neil Young's Harvest, Led Zep 4 and London Grammar's Truth is a Beautiful Thing to give them a run out.

Things I noticed immediately -

On Harvest - More detail and clarity, also notes from the slide guitar in the right hand side in "Out on the weekend" that I haven't heard before notes seem crisper and sharper. Great harmonies from the backing singers.

On Zep 4 - Bonham's cymbal both crash and ride really shimmer and the notes on pages guitar solos are really clearly enunciated again more detail than I am used to hearing. But JP Jone's bass seems to go a bit AWOL and this did have the effect of making the music lose some of it's drive imho.

On Truth is a beautiful thing - Wow! Hannah Reid's vocals really stand out (as they do anyhow) but they sound properly beautiful I can hear some of the highest notes catch at the back of her throat, again something I've never heard before but sounds astounding.

In general the soundstage for all seemed to become a lot more immediate and brought forwards. I would emphasise that this was not unpleasant to my ears just something I wasn't used to, it was certainly interesting. Comparing with the other interconnects they did have more clarity, detail and the top notes hit had more "punch" to them.

To be sure I played everything again through my speakers and although less revealing than the headphones they echoed my findings above.

Overall for me the clincher is the slight lack of bass weight to them, given I listen to a lot of rock and reggae this is something I would need to "feel" and hear.

However if I listened to mainly acoustic music and female vocals I'd have these like a shot .

If you come up with something similar but retains the bass then that would be ideal for me personally.

This was a very interesting experience though, having never experimented with cables before and it has certainly piqued my interest in them . Which no doubt means more expense (or something) lol . Amazing what is possible with bits of wire, it's shown me that here is also more detail in the system that could be brought out too, without a major change of components.....

Thanks for the chance to check them out.

Cheers Andy

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by smangus View Post
    Hi Oliver

I'll add my 2 pennerth of feedback, a bit late but my excuse is that I have been away in Italy eating and drinking far too much for the past week.

For context I would say I haven't experimented with any cables really and currently use "Chunky " cables from a guy in Ebay currently at £28 a shot which are copper OFC and have lockable plugs and a grey screening for shielding. So far no complaints about them at all and I've never had anything more expensive in there.

I put yours connected between my FB OTC phono to my headphone amp as my headphones are more revealing than my speakers for the 1st evaluation. So apart from the tone arm cable from my turntable (ZYX Yatra) to the OTC nothing else was in the path.

So I played Neil Young's Harvest, Led Zep 4 and London Grammar's Truth is a Beautiful Thing to give them a run out.

Things I noticed immediately -

On Harvest - More detail and clarity, also notes from the slide guitar in the right hand side in "Out on the weekend" that I haven't heard before notes seem crisper and sharper. Great harmonies from the backing singers.

On Zep 4 - Bonham's cymbal both crash and ride really shimmer and the notes on pages guitar solos are really clearly enunciated again more detail than I am used to hearing. But JP Jone's bass seems to go a bit AWOL and this did have the effect of making the music lose some of it's drive imho.

On Truth is a beautiful thing - Wow! Hannah Reid's vocals really stand out (as they do anyhow) but they sound properly beautiful I can hear some of the highest notes catch at the back of her throat, again something I've never heard before but sounds astounding.

In general the soundstage for all seemed to become a lot more immediate and brought forwards. I would emphasise that this was not unpleasant to my ears just something I wasn't used to, it was certainly interesting. Comparing with the other interconnects they did have more clarity, detail and the top notes hit had more "punch" to them.

To be sure I played everything again through my speakers and although less revealing than the headphones they echoed my findings above.

Overall for me the clincher is the slight lack of bass weight to them, given I listen to a lot of rock and reggae this is something I would need to "feel" and hear.

However if I listened to mainly acoustic music and female vocals I'd have these like a shot .

If you come up with something similar but retains the bass then that would be ideal for me personally.

This was a very interesting experience though, having never experimented with cables before and it has certainly piqued my interest in them . Which no doubt means more expense (or something) lol . Amazing what is possible with bits of wire, it's shown me that here is also more detail in the system that could be brought out too, without a major change of components.....

Thanks for the chance to check them out.

Cheers Andy
    No problem Andy,. I'm glad you've enjoyed having a play.

The Spotfire cable Im sending out on loan might suit you. Let me know if you want a listen.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast