+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cart Loading MC

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post

Andy it would really need to be a re-box for yours to fit those ELMA switches in. RCA socket loading I could do for you no bother in your current cases, but based on what you say you want it visible.
    Si, next year mate, DEFINITELY. I've just upgraded every component of my valve system. The XO, the paradise, the 301 and even a replacement amp. So, funds are a little low for a few months. Maybe first quater on 2018. I'll give you a shoult when I'm ready.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Simon.

No worries, no rush.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Jim.

I've used this before, I think ergonomically it's close to perfect;

SP-10Mk2a, Graham 2.2 tonearm. SL-1200, Graham 2.2 tonearm, AT-150mlx, Benz-Scheu Glider. Jim & Ken Super DC PSU, Oil well bearing, Acromat, Isonoes, strobe lamp switched. Pass Labs Pearl 2. Aleph J amplifier. F6 Amplifier. Nelson Pass Burning Amplifier BA-3. Pass BA-PP linestage, miniDSP 4x10, Linkwitz Labs LXmini speakers, Sony SS-M7 speakers.

DIY In progress - Syclotron Red Light district valve amp, ZenMod "Iron pre" autoformer jfet preamp, SYclotron 'His Master's Noise' valve phonostage. And about 2-3 other projects in various states at any time.

Bigman80 Guest

That's very pleasing to the eye.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Alan.

...but not the wallet, £12,000

I'm Grant.

yes, lovely bit of kit
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm martin.

Hi Simon,

As you know i’ve had my Paradise about 2 years now, a fabulous phono stage had the Whest 30R before which had dil switches for gains and loading. Yes very easy to switch loading but limited to about 5 or 6 settings.

Coming back to the Paradise gain was fine out of the box using a Kiseki Blue NS but played with loading for several weeks. Started with 330R then progressed to 120R but finally settled on 220R. Yes it’s fiddly unplugging swapping resistors but once settled on the value you told me to buy the Z foil resistors. It’s been playing beautifully ever since, I suppose if if I had several different cartridges it would be easier to have dil switches but for me it’s not an issue.

Regards,

Martin

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Default Keep It Simple, Stupid....

Let's not forget folks, that the more wire and 'gubbins' that the [tiny and delicate] signal from a low-output MC cartridge has to negotiate, in order for all these different loading options to be facilitated, the less likely that signal is to retain its integrity, and with it, the less music you'll hear...

Therefore, with phono stages, the purist in me says 'Keep It Simple, Stupid', and prioritise quality over convenience, which means having a phono stage dedicated to optimising the sonics and electrical parameters of ONE specific cartridge [the one we like best, thus will end up using most often], all hard-wired into a circuit, with no knobs, dials or switches, all introducing noise into the signal path.

Don't get me wrong, I get the idea of having variable gain and loading options, so you can fiddle to your heart's content, and optimise the sound of cartridges (as far as possible within those restrictions), but once you've found the ideal settings, then the best sound will always be achieved by hardwiring those settings into position, which takes me to my point above, as in audio, there's *always* a sonic penalty to be paid for convenience!

Given what experience has taught me over the years, how I'd do it if I were starting again, would be to have a circuit designed by one of the many capable EEs here [needn't be too expensive] that would allow accurate testing of variable gain and loading options for my favourite cartridge (wouldn't need to be too expensive), which would simply allow me to ascertain the optimal electrical parameters for the cartridge, in terms of gain and loading - nothing else.

Once done, I'd then have a high-quality dedicated phono stage built, which would 'set' the cartridge at those parameters internally and also optimise its sonics, and in that respect it would most likely be a valve-based design, as for me, the best valve phono stages get the most (musically) out of vinyl.

That said, I've still not heard a standalone MC stage, valve or solid-state, that to my ears sounds as good as a high-quality, hardwired throughout, valve MM stage used in conjunction with a top-notch head amp (or in some cases SUT) - ones that truly bring out the best sonic and musical qualities of the partnering cartridge, which is the hard bit and ultimately what it's all about...

In terms of matching, getting the electrical parameters right is piss-easy; the hard bit, and where the real magic lies with vinyl replay, is in understanding how to get a particular cartridge to 'sing' [the concept of 'synergy'], and in turn make the most of the music contained on your records - and that's where science goes out the window, or a fixed adherence to technical considerations, and ears and experience come in!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Deleted.

If one regularly changes cartridges then I can definitely see the attraction of front mounted controls, but otherwise they just add complexity, cost and extra switch contacts. As Alan wrote earlier, in series RCA loading is cheap, flexible and quick to swap over. The negative is that you have to make, or buy, the loading plugs (making them is very easy though) and extra contacts are introduced into the signal path (as with the switch option). The purist way, but also the most awkward, is to have components that plague in directly supported by a fixed soldered option.

I had all this internal debate when I boxed up my Paradise and, in the end, decided on push fit sockets fitted to the circuit board directly: High quality switches add significant cost whilst still limiting you to a set range of values. RCA loading sockets (or DIN, or other type) nearly one but I didn’t fancy the extra wiring and contacts at such a critical point in the circuit. So I went for board mounted sockets. Still an extra contact but zero extra signal path.
    Account Deleted

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    The purist way, but also the most awkward, is to have components that plague in directly supported by a fixed soldered option.
    Plague... That bad, eh?

I had all this internal debate when I boxed up my Paradise and, in the end, decided on push fit sockets fitted to the circuit board directly: High quality switches add significant cost whilst still limiting you to a set range of values. RCA loading sockets (or DIN, or other type) nearly one but I didn’t fancy the extra wiring and contacts at such a critical point in the circuit. So I went for board mounted sockets. Still an extra contact but zero extra signal path.
    Yup, ultimately the best compromise. Naim had it right with their plug-in 'K' boards, etc. It's just that what was used, component wise, wasn't the of the highest quality, or necessarily implemented optimally, but the principle was right!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast