+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ortofon Quintet Black

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Woah Oli your running along the same line of thought as me. You just need to try a Decca now! When you visit you can hear a 2M black and I will lend you my Decca to listen too!!
    a Decca on loan!!!!!!!! I feel a bit sick with excitement

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm jamie.

Ha ha your in for a treat!
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    Ha ha your in for a treat!
    I'm in for expense hahaha. I'm genuinely worried I'm gonna love it. Can't pass up the opportunity though.

I'm Robert.

Lovely, quality cart the Quintet B.

Was my first mc after the fab 2M Black.

Can sound a little less weighty to the ears in some systems, probs due to it being maybe a little more accurate - refined , coupled with less output than the 2MB.
    Also if it hit a bit harder \ dynamic it would be too close to the £1850 Cadenza Black and Ortofon know that wouldn't make sense.

I paid £649, they're a little more now but still a bit of a bargain considering.

Very detailed like all the Ortofon Shibata clad flagships, even handed, well balanced, great horns, instrumentation and vocals portrayal.

Like its Shibata mm sibling the 2M Black with as I say a touch more refinement being mc and instrumental information ie texture, timbre....very nice and importantly non fatiguing, just has you reaching for ya vinyl
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I'm in for expense hahaha. I'm genuinely worried I'm gonna love it. Can't pass up the opportunity though.
    It'll be different to the ZYX Oliver and very good, but won't necessarily be better. I sold my very nice Decca London Export Grey after buying the R50 Bloom H.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    It'll be different to the ZYX Oliver and very good, but won't necessarily be better. I sold my very nice Decca London Export Grey after buying the R50 Bloom H.
    Yes I am finding things are more different now than "better" so it wouldn't surprise me. But I'm really excited to try one.

I'm James.

The Decca is definitely one of the all time great pieces of analog sound reproduction history and should be tried by all vinyl fans.

I likened mine to a Ferrari and most other cartridges as a day to day runner. I would not have mine set up all the time but it's certainly great to pop on every now and then, they can be a bit too much to handle. You will see Oli when you borrow mine, they are a bit hairshirt! Set up right they can do some stunning things but they can also be frustrating.

Like all things in hifi, every bit of kit has its pros and cons. Nothing is perfect or the best. You always have to make compromises in some areas and some areas of the Decca's performance are compromised.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

Bigman80 Guest

The Decca is definitely one of the all time great pieces of analog sound reproduction history and should be tried by all vinyl fans.

I likened mine to a Ferrari and most other cartridges as a day to day runner. I would not have mine set up all the time but it's certainly great to pop on every now and then, they can be a bit too much to handle. You will see Oli when you borrow mine, they are a bit hairshirt! Set up right they can do some stunning things but they can also be frustrating.

Like all things in hifi, every bit of kit has its pros and cons. Nothing is perfect or the best. You always have to make compromises in some areas and some areas of the Decca's performance are compromised.
    I am incredibly grateful Jim, it's maybe something that would've been out of my reach to try for a long time. I'll judge it on its own performance but a Ferrari against a day to day motor sound very much like my cup of tea.

I'm James.

No problem, nice to be able to spread the Decca Magic, mind you when you actually see one in the flesh you might not think so!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

Bigman80 Guest

No problem, nice to be able to spread the Decca Magic, mind you when you actually see one in the flesh you might not think so!
    Haha oh no. I'm gonna be petrified about breaking it

Last edited by Bigman80; 23-10-2017 at 20:27.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast