+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ortofon Quintet Black

I'm Ian.

Default Ortofon Quintet Black

I've been enjoying the Ortofon 2M Black for quite some time but felt a change coming on. I'd been looking for a Benz Micro Glider for a while when Steve ( Curuthersesq) of this parish offered me his very low hours Quintet Black and knowing nothing much about this cartridge I did some research and was pleasantly surprised by the positive reports.
    So, duely purchased and installed I set about setting it up. After the very fiddly 2M the Quintet is much more straightforward and being basically rectangular in shape using the mirrored protector got the angles sorted easily. VTA took a bit longer but nothing like the 2M.
    How does it sound?, it has all the qualities of the 2M Black but with an added sense of space and air, a very delicate enhancement of 2M 's excellent detail. I've also noticed less surface noise, surprising really as both cartridges use a nude shibatta tip. It's at the low bass it really scores highly though, while in no way does it sound muddy or boomy the bass extension is quite dramatic, even really heavy dub reggae is clear and precise. It works well with classical music too, Holst's The Planets sounds both moody and lively in all the right places.
    Summing up at less than £700 new it is definitely punching above it's weight and worth considering if you're thinking of upgrading. I just want to hear a Cadenza Black now.....although it's a bit out of my price range at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

I'm Brian.

Fantastic write up Ian , a very informative and enjoyable read . Still outa my league though
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    Fantastic write up Ian , a very informative and enjoyable read . Still outa my league though
    Thanks Brian, I'm really enjoying vinyl again. They do come up used occasionally but not too often.
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Cables
    Headphones

I'm Brian.

Aye , just got back into vinyl myself this year . However , I have a good digital setup and I'm still on the fence regarding which system to move forward with . A really good cart like this would probably tip the balance in favour of vinyl , just can't afford it at the moment .
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ian7633 View Post
    I've been enjoying the Ortofon 2M Black for quite some time but felt a change coming on. I'd been looking for a Benz Micro Glider for a while when Steve ( Curuthersesq) of this parish offered me his very low hours Quintet Black and knowing nothing much about this cartridge I did some research and was pleasantly surprised by the positive reports.
    So, duely purchased and installed I set about setting it up. After the very fiddly 2M the Quintet is much more straightforward and being basically rectangular in shape using the mirrored protector got the angles sorted easily. VTA took a bit longer but nothing like the 2M.
    How does it sound?, it has all the qualities of the 2M Black but with an added sense of space and air, a very delicate enhancement of 2M 's excellent detail. I've also noticed less surface noise, surprising really as both cartridges use a nude shibatta tip. It's at the low bass it really scores highly though, while in no way does it sound muddy or boomy the bass extension is quite dramatic, even really heavy dub reggae is clear and precise. It works well with classical music too, Holst's The Planets sounds both moody and lively in all the right places.
    Summing up at less than £700 new it is definitely punching above it's weight and worth considering if you're thinking of upgrading. I just want to hear a Cadenza Black now.....although it's a bit out of my price range at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Wow, seeing that TT and arm really pulled my heart strings mate. Such a fantastic combo. Word of advice, make sure the TT is well isolated. It had a tendency to boom a little on my shelf and only now with the SP10 have I realised how important proper isolation is.

The cartridge looks the business. I bet it sounds great. Good times.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Wow, seeing that TT and arm really pulled my heart strings mate. Such a fantastic combo. Word of advice, make sure the TT is well isolated. It had a tendency to boom a little on my shelf and only now with the SP10 have I realised how important proper isolation is.

The cartridge looks the business. I bet it sounds great. Good times.

You're on the money re isolation. The Toshiba sits on a 50mm birch ply and deadening sheet platform which in turn sits on oak cone feet. The whole lot rests on a double shelved Target rack on floor spikes. This all works well, even my LP12 didn't jump when I walked past ha.
    Turntable
    CD
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Speakers
    Cables
    Headphones

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ian7633 View Post
    You're on the money re isolation. The Toshiba sits on a 50mm birch ply and deadening sheet platform which in turn sits on oak cone feet. The whole lot rests on a double shelved Target rack on floor spikes. This all works well, even my LP12 didn't jump when I walked past ha.
    Lol, good stuff mate. I only wish I'd known it for the last couple of years hahaha.

I'm James.

Nice write up Ian, you have now added another cartridge along with the ZYX and ATPTGii to my list to consider
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Nice write up Ian, you have now added another cartridge along with the ZYX and ATPTGii to my list to consider
    I've got a "for sale" AT33PTGII here on loan at the minute. What a fantastic cartridge for the money. Seriously transparent and very very detailed. My ZYX R50 BLOOM had more presence in my system so I'm keeping the ZYx. Close run decision though.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I've got a "for sale" AT33PTGII here on loan at the minute. What a fantastic cartridge for the money. Seriously transparent and very very detailed. My ZYX R50 BLOOM had more presence in my system so I'm keeping the ZYx. Close run decision though.

Woah Oli your running along the same line of thought as me. You just need to try a Decca now! When you visit you can hear a 2M black and I will lend you my Decca to listen too!!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast