+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Someone to do a crossover design?

I'm Hal.

Thanks all, I feel I'm on safe ground with this Seas/Fountek combination. Its the same midbass and a similar Fountek that Salk use in the Song tower, which is well regarded in the US. Madisound have now responded that their crossover design service is still going, with the option of them building the crossover. I'm in shock at a local kit/ speaker supply company that has just quoted be 1800 Australian dollars to design the crossover. I may well have a go at trying to design it myself just to "have a go" but I'm pretty sure that could end in tears. Still, I'll sit down one afternoon or evening and see if I can nut it out. May well also approach Paul, he sounds as he is the unanimously approved guru, and get his costings.
    Without music, powerboat racing, photography and a whole stack of other stuff that floats my boat, life is just a non stop procession of deadlines and bills.

I'm Geoff.

If you do proceed Hal. My suggestion would be to keep things a simple as possible, at least to start with. I don't know the comparative sensitivities of the drivers concerned, but the tweeter may need 'padding' down somewhat, to bring output down to match the bass/mid unit.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Hal.

Oh it certainly does, 94db sensitivity, way above the midbass, at least they are both 8ohm.
    Without music, powerboat racing, photography and a whole stack of other stuff that floats my boat, life is just a non stop procession of deadlines and bills.

I'm matt.

You'll lose around 3 to 5db on the midbass due to baffle step loss. In free space I'd expect that speaker to be about 82 to 83db (2.8v 1m).

I'm Neil.

Default Someone to do a crossover design?

You could always run the drivers with no crossover and set the tweeters at around 4 or 4.5khz, 1st order. Somewhere to start, the ear is an important measurement tool too. Experimenting will help to hear the differences. Some designers end up back here (no crossover on driver) albeit with doped (‘critically damped’) drivers.

I think unless you are BBC, Harbeth or Tannoy then less is more.
    Last edited by Yomanze; 24-10-2017 at 18:54.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm paul.

Deqx are from your neck of the woods. Use it with any speaker you build.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12