+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Someone to do a crossover design?

I'm Hal.

Default Someone to do a crossover design?

I intend using a seas 5.5" paper/reed driver, the ER15RLY, with a fountek neo x 2 ribbon tweeter in a small ported bookshelf type speaker. I can design the and build the speaker, but designing the crossover is something I really don't want to tackle. Are there any suggestions for a person or firm that can be recommended to do this work, and at reasonable cost. I don't expect anyone to work for nothing, but similarly I don't want to pay a Kings ransom either. Madisound advertises such a service on their website at most reasonable cost but I believe their designer has since retired.
    Without music, powerboat racing, photography and a whole stack of other stuff that floats my boat, life is just a non stop procession of deadlines and bills.

I'm Peter.

Reffc (Paul) of this parish may be able to assist. No idea how much he would charge. The only thing to do ..... is ask. He most certainly is very capable.

If no answer on the Forum, drop me a PM and I’ll let you have his email.

Peter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Andrew.

Yep goto paul.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Alex.

This was a service that Falcon used to provide, but that was decades ago. They did me one for EMI 14"x9" 14A770, KEF B110, Celestion HF1300 and Coles 4001G. I still have Malcolm Jones drawing of that circuit.
    Spendorman

I'm Geoff.

Crossover calculator? https://www.diyaudioandvideo.com/Cal...akerCrossover/

You'd probably want a third order or higher network with ribbons. Many will tell you that the home constructor can't build a decent crossover, but I do mine.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Neil.

Default Someone to do a crossover design?

Those tweeters have high power handling (for a ribbon) ideal for using a 1st order crossover with, which has a certain magic in a two way design IMHO.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    Those tweeters have high power handling (for a ribbon) ideal for using a 1st order crossover with, which has a certain magic in a two way design IMHO.
    Greater risk of intermodulation though. Also, the wide overlap of response between two drivers with very different tonal characteristics could cause some 'oddities' in the sound.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Simon.

i use Ribbons into the mids on my NS1000M, first order, no issues.

Easily done with basic box and crossover calc tools and a measurement mic and a copy of REW for final in situ testing. if I can do it anyone can.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by hal55 View Post
    I intend using a seas 5.5" paper/reed driver, the ER15RLY, with a fountek neo x 2 ribbon tweeter in a small ported bookshelf type speaker. I can design the and build the speaker, but designing the crossover is something I really don't want to tackle. Are there any suggestions for a person or firm that can be recommended to do this work, and at reasonable cost. I don't expect anyone to work for nothing, but similarly I don't want to pay a Kings ransom either. Madisound advertises such a service on their website at most reasonable cost but I believe their designer has since retired.

The very best way to do It would be with measurements of the drivers In the box (Impedance and frequency). It Is possible to trace the graphs from manufacturers data sheets, but I wouldn't fully trust them (manufacturers often massage the frequency response graphs to make them look better than they actually are). There's a guy over at the partsexpress forum that has designed crossovers for people without measurements and they have been happy with the results, so may be worth asking over there.

Don't waste your time with online calculators.

montesquieu Guest

Another vote for Paul at RFC.

Don’t expect him to busk it though he’ll need driver details and box measurement - in fact you might be better off giving him an idea what you are trying to achieve and having him work out the details all round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast