+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hi from Somerset

I'm Richard.

Default Hi from Somerset

Hi,, been reading here for a while now and thanks to all who share so much info and help,,knowledge
    and very interesting reading.
    I'm a music lover firstly and then audioholic,,i guess , and over my long (50+) music loving, hi fi loving life i've had tons of gear,, only one system though could be classed as near hi end.
    I'm now full circle and building it up again,,, thanks largely to my son , who rekindled my passion,, when he bought a nice pair of Castle Severns,,,,he loves them and a nice Arcam amp.
    So I'm upgrading ,,, modding .....

My first system was ( when i just left school in the mid seventies was
    Eagle AA4 amp ( all i could afford but not that good)
    Garrard sp 25 (everyone has had one)
    Rigonda 10-MAC speakers (Russian but very good,, cast chassis and good bottom end)

I changed all this over the years with various budget gear and that was the start

Finally ended up with best system i have had

Yamaha CA810 amp ( Stunning amp ---MC-- 65 w a channnel if i remember)
    Ariston RD10S with ADC carbon tone arm and Ortofon MC10
    Celestion Ditton 66

Soon after that ,, marriage ,,,,,kids,,,, and the rest,, so my prized stuff went

The intervening years saw a variety of stuff
    Pioneer cs757 speakers,,,,,very nice
    Technics SL10
    AR 48's
    among others,,, nothing excited me though, So i built a pair of Maplin 50W amps with uprated mono power supplies,, (wish i'd kept them)

Musical tastes are,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Pro g
    Rush came along,,, and so it went....
    Of course---Zep,,,Yes and the like,,,,on the heavier side---Early motorhead,,, budgie,, but i also like,,,Kate bush ,,,Tori amos .. bjork

Im starting this system with,,,,wait for it TDL RTL3
    my newest gear will be built around these,,,,,,i love 'em
    Rest of it is budget but very good Rotel RA931
    Sony CDP xe 310 ,,nice cd
    Celestion 442,,,,,stunning bass (now upstairs,,, waiting to sell for new amp,,,cd )

Thanks for reading this ramble,,,,, My first post will be about these TDL's ,,,,,,,,,modding
    Last edited by Richa; 23-10-2017 at 15:18. Reason: current equipment

I'm Rob.

Hi Richard, good intro. I think a lot of us on here started our journey in the 70's......well I did anyway.
    I started with an Eagle amp and an SP25 MkIV. I have seen Rigonda speakers on ebay that are extoled as being "vintage perfection", but I have never heard any.
    Similarly I have not heard any TDL 3's, but they have a loyal following and I suspect are a good building block. I also suspect that they have a robust and full sound that I cannot do without.

Keep us informed of your journey.

Rob.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Geoff.

Hi Richard. Welcome to AOS.

Your first system sounds very similar to what many of us here started off with in the seventies.

I see you will be using TDL speakers, those have a few followers amongst members.

Take a look around the site, there's plenty going on and feel free to join in the chat.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread