+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: question

I'm joe.

Hah! I've been in hifi shops like that, where 'the customer is always wrong'.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    I've always found Richer Sounds to be rather more helpful than these chaps here

Chris
    I cringe when I see that clip, but it's based on reality I'm afraid, both in some Totty Ct Rd dealers of old AND a few of the more self satisfied Linn/Naim dealers of the eighties.....
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm joe.

<cough> Billy Vee <cough>

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    I cringe when I see that clip, but it's based on reality I'm afraid, both in some Totty Ct Rd dealers of old AND a few of the more self satisfied Linn/Naim dealers of the eighties.....
    So what was the story there Dave? They were making so much money they did not care (which seems unlikely)? Or they were not paying their salesmen enough commision for them to care?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Paul.

I tried to get a loan of a Dacmagic from various local Richer Sounds but they weren't interested. You'd probably have to buy it first, and if you didn't like it return it with a re-stocking fee. I don't think they'd yet cottoned on to the fact that computer audio was taking off and dacs were becoming more important.

I'm Neil.

I find that clip both funny and sad at the same time. I was never like that. Not when I was new (1989..as a Saturday Boy), or just before I did the Mexican walk (made redundant) a year or so ago.

However I did witness colleagues of mine have ago at guys who came in to us, who normally went to a Linn/Naim dealer in the same city. They would ask what we (the dealership I worked in)"Thought of Naim or Linn ?" The totally unnecessary response was, in regard to Naim

1 If you had enough of them you could build a garage.

2 They make excellent door stops.

3 They make excellent paper-weights.

etc etc etc..you can imagine the other comments, such as PRAT, is that the name of those who buy them

In regard to the Linn LP12

1 The platters make good Pizza dishes

2 I think there is enough wood there to light a fire.

3 Do you know its broke when it bounces like that.

As a junior member of staff I had to just say nothing, but I hated every minute of it. No need for insults, simply show and let them listen to one of our set ups...it would speak for its self. In regard to the Linn, its a great TT if set up by a non-Linn person...i.e allowed to breathe, and not tightened to within an inch of its life...imho.

Oh yes Kenwood got a slagging too...."Yes sir they make excellent food mixers".... They also made great tape decks, Tuners, CD players, CD Transports (one of the first), The first commercial CD recorder...all three boxes of it. It just makes me so sad the number of people who walked away thinking what a bunch of arrogant cocks. These were all potential customers/converts what ever you want to call them...and these mainly 2 (though nearly all of them did it, bar me...though I may well have had a giggle behind the scenes) members of staff pissed our chances up against the wall...what ass holes. This was 20 + years ago.

Regards D S D L
    Last edited by Spectral Morn; 14-02-2010 at 23:01.
    Regards Neil

I'm ILOB.

I have never had this treatment in a hifi store but I have when buying my first guitar; needless to say they lost the sale
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    In regard to the Linn LP12

In regard to the Linn, its a great TT if set up by a non-Linn person...i.e allowed to breathe, and not tightened to within an inch of its life...imho.

Regards D S D L
    Most LP12's "set up" by non Linn trained people are a total joke - IMO...

Older decks HAD to be firmly tightened otherwise they sounded wishy-washy and vague. later - post early nineties ones were made to far tighter plinth tolerances and everything was checked for parallel bolts etc. these later ones DIDN'T need to be tightened to destruction...

Been there, read a library and worn out all the tee-shirts, including the one i still have with "Linn LP12" on the front and "I use mine every night" on the back.........
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Neil.

Most LP12's "set up" by non Linn trained people are a total joke - IMO...

Older decks HAD to be firmly tightened otherwise they sounded wishy-washy and vague. later - post early nineties ones were made to far tighter plinth tolerances and everything was checked for parallel bolts etc. these later ones DIDN'T need to be tightened to destruction...

Been there, read a library and worn out all the tee-shirts, including the one i still have with "Linn LP12" on the front and "I use mine every night" on the back.........
    We will have to agree to differ. I find your comment way to general, in regard to those who are not Linn trained (too narrow and a bit off imho) and you have heard every Linn set up by a non-Linn person ?...I don't think so (you may have heard/seen a few bad ones in your day). Your Linn programming seems to be coming back Dave...fight it, fight it !

A Linn LP12 after I have set it up are stunning (imho/e), and sound much better than a tightened to destruction Linn (easy way to wreck the arm and cartridge imho..not experienced that thankfully). Linn trained my ass. More Ivor created BS. Any competent to excellent (me) TT set up person, with years of TT set up experience (covering a wide range of TTs )can do a Linn. No great mystery to it. I approached my first with a degree of caution (I had bought into the Linn BS)...no problem...took awhile though. First one was a massive success. My boss who hates Linns liked it..nay loved it "Best one he had ever heard" was his comment to me.

Regards D S D L
    Last edited by Spectral Morn; 15-02-2010 at 10:56.
    Regards Neil

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Well, I do believe Audio T in Epsom have based their training on that very clip. The rudest people I've ever encountered in the hi-fi trade.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123