+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CD players

I'm David.

Default CD players

Marantz CD65 development 'chassis' (CD65IISE KI spec)
    An interesting Marantz CD65 that was part of the listening and development program undertaken by engineer Ken Ishiwata - it is effective a hand modified CD65IISE KI.

It's internally messy with hand-done mods. Sounds absolutely lovely. Also a set of low noise op amps that were going to be used in the player but were not included because of expense. Anyone into tinkering and a bit of soldering could improve the unit. There's no remote. Bit of history - £79 to a good home?

The box is squashed - I might be able to pack it out so it survives the post but I'd rather arrange a hand-over.

Marantz CD65IISE and remote
    This is an early assessment unit taken from the production line without an assigned serial number. This example has simple remote which may not have been supplied with production units but which provides transport functions only. A great sounding player. No tracking or drawer related issues. £129

Marantz CD94/CDA94 and remote
    My own CD94/CDA94 combo. The transport was refurbished in March 2017 with new belts and foams. The commonly broken shaft that connects the front panel button with the back panel switch has been repaired but is fully and reliably functional. No production or after-market modifcations - sound is exceptional. Cosmetically this is in beautiful condition with one knock to the LH cheek of the CD94 visible in picture and a slight scuff to RH cheeck of CDA94 (I should never have let them be photographed!). An outstanding example. £1099

Philips LHH1000 CD transport/DAC/remote development'chassis' (Marantz CD-12/DA-12)
    The Philips LHH1000 comprises three units - the LHH1001 CD transport, the LHH1002 Digital-to-Analogue convertor and an LHH1003 remote control. This LHH1001 transport has been modified to Marantz CD-12 specification and like the convertor has 'engineer's blueprint' Marants labels on the Philips back panel. The units are fully functional and have been in daily use since new. The CD transport has been serviced twice, the last time in April this year when all foams and belts were renewed and the laser sled lubricated.

The basis of the LHH1002 convertor is the Philips's 16-bit, fourtimes oversampling chip set, using the improved digital filter (SAA7220/B) and the top-grade dual-DAC chip, the "Golden Crown" TDA1541A S1. This was a development and listening assessment unit - the back panels are hand modified to take voltage selector switches and the flying lead mains supply favoured by Ken Ishiwata - oxygen-free-copper cables are used for both units. Cosmetically all three units are in very fine condition with some slight marks from handling and repeated assembly/disassembly or their cases during development. The remote control is clean from any battery leakage and is fully functional - still programmed with TV PIP and DAT commands. It can be reprogrammed.

This is an exceptional sounding player with powerfully controlled bass, sweet detail resolution and a massive airy image space. It is a very heavy unit packed in two boxes and is complete with original Philips manuals, all cables (including unused optical and XLR-phono connectors). £1990

Further photos are available, questions answered - just PM. Items can be demonstrated and local collection is possible in the NE. Shipment to be arranged. UPS insured quotes for CD94/CDA94 and CD-12/DA-12 to a UK residential address are about £58 and £75 respectively.
    David

I'm David.

Sunday bump - now on ebay - rather sell them here - Talk to me people!
    David

I'm Neil.

I have wanted a CD12 since I saw one in the flesh back in the day, where I worked gave one away as competition prize. However this was £2500 ish new and is at least 26 years old, and yes I know its a collectable.

I wish you the best with the sale, my offer as I see you are offering such on EBay would I think not be accepted.
    Regards Neil

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post

I have wanted a CD12 since I saw one in the flesh back in the day, where I worked gave one away as competition prize. However this was £2500 ish new and is at least 26 years old, and yes I know its a collectable.

I wish you the best with the sale, my offer as I see you are offering such on EBay would I think not be accepted.
    Likewise. My offer wouldn't be accepted I think. But there are many Japanese who will look upon this as a collectable. Shame as it won't then be used and deserves to be.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post

I don't think the original value has much to do with the market price of classic hi-fi.

Regarding my CD12 - there's a broken CD12/DA12 on ebay at £1400 and a working example in S Yorks offered at £4500 - I was very careful to check the market before pricing these players.

I'm Adrian.

I'm in the market for a digital source but am a little confused by the market which is flooded with brands and types. Hence I never pull the trigger. I read up extensively on the Phillips you're offering and have a good idea of what it is capable of. But what always worries me with older cd players is if they go wrong you can end up with a pretty brick - with analogue there's usually a work around.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post
    I'm in the market for a digital source but am a little confused by the market which is flooded with brands and types. Hence I never pull the trigger. I read up extensively on the Phillips you're offering and have a good idea of what it is capable of. But what always worries me with older cd players is if they go wrong you can end up with a pretty brick - with analogue there's usually a work around.
    Cartridge suspension rubbers die, so do speaker surrounds, valves and transistors become unobtainable - there's a healthy market in spares for the top Philips models including belts, transports, laser and recapping kits if you want to keep things original and ticking along. Just saying.

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post
    Likewise. My offer wouldn't be accepted I think. But there are many Japanese who will look upon this as a collectable. Shame as it won't then be used and deserves to be.
    Just to pass on some ebay amusement - the CD12 has attracted a number of identical bids all from similar Chinese semi-business accounts. If twenty people say it's worth 10p I'm bound to see the truth and sell! One the other hand there's the guy from Watford who bid me £100, then upped his offer to £200. I declined both unsurprisingly. he waited three hours before offering £150. I was so desperate I nearly accepted (not).

I really do dislike selling on ebay but the economy of AOS and PFM seems only to work if you want to buy AND sell within the forums. I've tried to offer interesting bits of kit to the hi-fi community at a fair price but what I seem to think is interesting seems to be very much off the mark. Pity.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by DGP View Post
    Just to pass on some ebay amusement - the CD12 has attracted a number of identical bids all from similar Chinese semi-business accounts. If twenty people say it's worth 10p I'm bound to see the truth and sell! One the other hand there's the guy from Watford who bid me £100, then upped his offer to £200. I declined both unsurprisingly. he waited three hours before offering £150. I was so desperate I nearly accepted (not).

I really do dislike selling on ebay but the economy of AOS and PFM seems only to work if you want to buy AND sell within the forums. I've tried to offer interesting bits of kit to the hi-fi community at a fair price but what I seem to think is interesting seems to be very much off the mark. Pity.
    I don't think any of the players you're offering are off the mark - they are excellent players but some things take time on the forum.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps