+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Croft 25R Preamp Tube rolling

I'm Lawrence.

This thread has inspired me to try a pair. Is there any benefit to getting matched triodes within the valve? I would have thought you would want to match the equivalent triodes in the L/R valves, assuming it's one valve per channel. Although I read somewhere you don't need to match preamp valves at all, why might that be?

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by worrasf View Post
    I think you will find the Raytheon more musical and enjoyable than the Brimar. I always find Brimars sound too "dark" for my tastes. Likewise GE and RCA (other than the 1950's RCA long black plates which I like very much)
    I have an RCA long black plate but it's past its best. When it was good it was superb,probably my favourite 12BH7a but looking forward to the Raytheon. I shopped around a bit for this valve and Europe is now very expensive with most £55 upwards. The Raytheon from tubemonger is £35 delivered from the states!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    This thread has inspired me to try a pair. Is there any benefit to getting matched triodes within the valve? I would have thought you would want to match the equivalent triodes in the L/R valves, assuming it's one valve per channel. Although I read somewhere you don't need to match preamp valves at all, why might that be?

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk
    If buying pairs or quads I always go for a matched set. Tubemonger are excellent as is WiWi valves in HK.
    Can’t think why one wouldn’t want matched preamp valves in a phono stage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Always a little further

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    The Raytheon from tubemonger is £35 delivered from the states!
    Don’t forget to factor in the import duty and outrageous “handling charges” on goods from US. It’s a licence to print money. At least buying from Europe/HK/China you dont get stung

Always a little further

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by worrasf View Post
    Don’t forget to factor in the import duty and outrageous “handling charges” on goods from US. It’s a licence to print money. At least buying from Europe/HK/China you dont get stung

Mmmmmm you have a point there, although I thought goods under £50 did not attract import duties?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm James.

Mmmmmm you have a point there, although I thought goods under £50 did not attract import duties?
    The question is what does the seller mean by ' matched'?
    Is it
    1. Same brand
    2. Same date and factory code
    3. Same construction
    4. Same emissions at a given grid voltage
    5. Same transconductance at a given grid voltage
    6. Same transconductance at a given anode current
    7. Matched across several named operating points
    My experience of valves is that few if any sellers 'match' valves, they just charge for the service. Wiwi and NOS tube store are notable exceptions here (in my experience) .

As many have noted, the valve is fitted to the circuit, so it's probably worth being guided by what the designer intended, even if a different flavour sounds better.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I'm Mike.

I thought it affected anything over £18, with fees being 20% of the total cost inc postage then there's a % for import duty, then a collection fee, so don't think you'll be far off £45 - £50 total .

I could be wrong on the £18 part, I didn't Google it. The fees don't always have to be paid when it arrives, you might get an invoice a few days later

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    I thought it affected anything over £18, with fees being 20% of the total cost inc postage then there's a % for import duty, then a collection fee, so don't think you'll be far off £45 - £50 total .

I could be wrong on the £18 part, I didn't Google it. The fees don't always have to be paid when it arrives, you might get an invoice a few days later
    I'm also unsure about any minimum value before charges levied but I do know that last week I was charged £75 on a computer part I paid £235 for from USA. Came by UPS and customs wouldn't release until I'd paid upfront. This has been my constant experience of buying stuff from USA so I really try to avoid doing so but unfortunately all to often the part I want is only available over there.
    Always a little further

I'm Mike.

It used to be £18 for new good and £36 for used goods. Even if it's 1p over you get charged full fees, I once paid £8 extra on an item that came into the UK at £18.01, the exchange rate had changed whilst in transit putting it over the £18 threshold the threshold had now changed to £15 and £39 for a gift.

The up to date fees are as follows.

New or used items over £15. A gift is allowed up to £39.

The fees added are 3.5% import duty, then 20% Vat. Bear in mind the vat is added to the cost of the item, the import tax and the postage!

https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad

Then the courier will add a collection fee, Royal Mail on smaller items are around £8, I think this is variable depending on the amount to be collected. So it soon mounts up.

I reckon Jimbo's valve will be approx £43 plus collection fee I'm sorry to say.

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazid View Post
    The question is what does the seller mean by ' matched'?
    Is it
    1. Same brand
    2. Same date and factory code
    3. Same construction
    4. Same emissions at a given grid voltage
    5. Same transconductance at a given grid voltage
    6. Same transconductance at a given anode current
    7. Matched across several named operating points
    My experience of valves is that few if any sellers 'match' valves, they just charge for the service. Wiwi and NOS tube store are notable exceptions here (in my experience) .

As many have noted, the valve is fitted to the circuit, so it's probably worth being guided by what the designer intended, even if a different flavour sounds better.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
    Indeed! And then there is the minefield of faked tubes - very common on the web/eBay especially the sought after ones like TFK's and TESLA's.
    IME there are rarely if ever any bargains to be had nowadays so it pays to purchase from a reputable dealer and WiWi tubes are a strong recommendation.
    Occasionally the AoS member Drew sells some of his tubes and they are always excellent and at a good price.
    Always a little further

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast