+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommended Active Speaker Cables (XLR)

I'm Neil.

Default Recommended Active Speaker Cables (XLR)

I would go for some Belden 1800F from http://www.bluejeanscable.co.uk/stor...udio/index.htm

No snake oil, just superior engineering made up at a fair price & will last forever, unlike weird and wonderful “Gucci” XLRs.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    To be honest Barry I'm not sure whether the latter type you mention would work correctly. I'm after a cable to link a preamp to active speakers both of which have balanced XLR connection sockets.

All of the advice provided is very helpful. I have no experience of making up cables, (I don't even possess a soldering iron), so I'll probably just buy a pair of Van Damme with Neutrik plugs to start with. With all of the advice and info available on here I may just buy some soldering equipment and try making up something of my own sometime though!

Many thanks all.
    In that case, it would be better to use one of the cables suggested by Geoff or Neil, or to have a look at professional audio equipment sites such as Studiospares.

Good luck.
    Barry

I'm Ken.

Some of the Mic cables can have less copper than general line level cable, Klotz MC-5000 has one of the thickest conductors at 0.5mm sq. Many are less than 0.2mm sq.

If you use MC-5000 with Neutrik NC-XX (chuck type cable grip) XLR connectors, you need to make a slight mod to the chuck as the MC-5000 is slightly too big in jacket diameter.

As it's only line level we are talking about they should all work from a conductor standpoint. I prefer un-plated copper (NC-5000). Van Damme is Silver plated copper, the choice is yours.

Any of the main Pro Audio cables, Van Damme, Sommer, Klotz, would be fine, mogami are more expensive but have a following.
    Depending on your cable run/preference, the shielding type may be as important, single/double, coax/spiral etc.

For short runs in a tidy domestic environment, they will all work fine.

Fitting the connectors to the cable yourself can save a bit of cash, the cheap ready made leads are just that, cheap and poor quality.

I'm Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    I would go for some Belden 1800F from http://www.bluejeanscable.co.uk/stor...udio/index.htm

No snake oil, just superior engineering made up at a fair price & will last forever, unlike weird and wonderful “Gucci” XLRs.
    That Belden cable is an AES (digital) cable of 110 ohm.
    Last edited by Qwin; 22-10-2017 at 22:26.

I'm Neil.

Default Recommended Active Speaker Cables (XLR)

Quote Originally Posted by Qwin View Post
    That Belden cable is an AES (digital) cable of 110 ohm.
    Yes a good multipurpose pro audio cable, totally suitable for analogue purposes (including mic cable), but meet the spec for AES/EBU... the lower capacitance can only be a good thing for analogue, and the impedance is a non issue.

There are potential issues the other way around (using an analogue XLR for AES/EBU and producing impedance mismatches).
    Last edited by Yomanze; 23-10-2017 at 08:53.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Alex.

I have tried various cables as I make my own up and after quite a while tried Canare star quad, Klotz 5000, Van Damme Classic XKE which all sounded OK, but I tried the Van Damme starquad XKE and found them to be a nice open sounding cable. They captured the leading edge of transients better than the other cables.
    I had the Klotz with Neutrik silver plated XLR`s for a while and it was my favoured cable, but the Van Damme Starquad XKE just gave that bit extra.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12