+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sounds a bit shrill-is it my Audion?

I'm Simon.

The zus can sound a bit shout, if you're amp is being pushed that might exacerbate the effect. Try another amp.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Steve.

Thank you so much everyone for your suggestions which I'll work through, starting with swapping the amp temporarily.

Some have asked if the amp sounded ok with other components, and the answer is I don't know.

For some time my records and CDs were played through an ancient LP12 and a Samsung blu ray player, a sony av amp, and MA Radius surround Speakers and BK XLS200 sub.

About 5 years ago me and my brothers inherited a house which we refurbed and sold. I spent half of my share on stereo stuff (much to my family's dismay) but I knew I would never get another chance to do this. I had heard valve gear before at various audio shows and loved the warm sound and cool looks but knew they would always be beyond my reach. Well now was my chance to do this. I heard the Zu speakers and audion amps at an Audio Show and decided that's what I wanted.

I bought the Audion secondhand online from a dealer somewhere in Wales and it sat at home doing nothing for 3 months while the Zu's were being made (the missus would only allow these monsters through the door if I stumped up the extra £1800 for piano gloss finish!) So the Audion didn't get any use until the day Dave from Audio Counsel brought the speakers. He did at the time suggest servicing the amp and and maybe getting a quality mains block. At this point I felt I'd pushed the expenditure as far as I dared so that was it till now.

I have so much invested in these speakers that I really need the problem to be elsewhere.

I'll try another amp first and see what happens.

I'm John.

Are the speakers newish Steve, hard to tell from the above? Are they fully run in?

I'm Adrian.

The tubes aren't the problem unless you're pushing the amp into clipping - which is easier to do than you think for a whole number of reasons. I have Treasure series and hifi series Shuguan and PSvane tubes and they are very well behaved unless asked to deliver more than they are designed to.

Even putting in a second amp might not nail the culprit - though I reckon the little audion is being pushed beyond its limit. This means either a new amp or lowering the volume.

I have the same (well almost) problem at the minute. I have big mother fu**a Cary 805c's which chuck out 50rms of set magic which with Ane's sound magical and never hard - now going into clipping and shouting like crazy even though they are driving a higher sensitivity speaker (Tannoy) than they are used to. Why this is is complex and all about impedances and such like as well as the fact that my system is so 'clean' and with such a dynamic range it's easy to turn up the wick on a quiet intro only to be snarled at when things get hot. Lesson - my beloved amps dont match my new beloved speakers - so a new amp.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Steve.

Zu's do take a long time to run in, but I've had them exactly 4 years now. They don't get as much use as I'd like, maybe 500 hrs, cos there are compatibility problems with my music tastes and my other half's ears. She's on board with my Talking Heads records, but finds Frank Zappa a bit of a challenge.

I'm Steve.

Hi Adrian, my head is beginning to hurt! I'd assumed that high sensitivity speakers would mean an easy life for the amp, but from what you say about your new Tannoys it would seem to be not as simple as that.

I suppose I was foolish to think I could throw money at some components and assume that would be the end of it. Many of you have some incredibly exotic systems but still strive for better!

If I find the Audion is running out of steam, then it will be a change of amp, but I will have some serious groundwork to do for about 6 months to get her onside.

I'm Grant.

can be a difficult thing to get right first time Steve, but keep the faith and you will be rewarded.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Adrian.

Welcome to my club lol. I have a legendary pair of set amps sitting doing nothing whilst a 30 year old class A DIY build is singing like a Canary. Go figure.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

montesquieu Guest

This seems like a sticky problem and the first thing I’d try is another amp ... given the Zus’ sensitivity even a £50 chip amp might tell you something.

I think the mains suggestion might also be on to something. For sure try the power amp directly into the wall.

On paper this is certainly a workable combination.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    I'd assumed that high sensitivity speakers would mean an easy life for the amp
    Sorry mate but some loudspeakers are very highly sensitive but put up a helluva 'fight' against the amplifier. Often referred to as a difficult 'load'. I cannot comment further as I have no knowledge of yours.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast