+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Sounds a bit shrill-is it my Audion?

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jazid View Post
    It could be the speakers interaction with the room, my listening room makes everything a bit shouty and I have had to play with all sorts to ameliorate this effect which is a PITA. I'd wait till the other half is out and move the speakers and listening position around, also get some towels or blankets to break up reflection points as an earlier poster suggested. This will tell you how much the room can change the sound so you can judge this particular contribution to your problem, it could just be the 'smoking gun' and is free to do, if it works then proper room treatment is relatively affordable (if domestically acceptable). If the sound just remains shouty then I'm afraid you're going to have to think about trying a few different pairs of speakers IN YOUR ROOM.

Re. Valve amps the Audion might have something to do with your problem, but Zu speakers are designed with SETs in mind (unlike Tannoy DCs), and Paulf above enjoyed his Zu speakers with an even lower powered PX25 amp so I'd say unlikely to be a massive effect. Jerry's T-amp offer is sensible, a diffferent class of amp is needed to highlight any amp-speaker interactions should these be significant.

Re. Valves I am a bit OCD valve rolling and have rolled more 300b than I care to admit in SET, PSET, and PP amps. There are certainly differences but they are modest compared to speaker and room effects, they will flavour a well-functioning system, not cure a problem. If still keen you may be better off rolling the driver valves first as these often have a more pronounced effect, and are much cheaper and easier to sell on. If your valves are getting toward the end of their life then I'd expect a lifeless sound and weakening frequency extremes. That might sound shouty but lifeless doesn't seem like your system's problem?

Re. Servicing the amps, I'd get it done as a priority. I think I have read that (older) Audions run quite hot and towards the limit of component tolerances - maybe ne reason why they sound so good? A look over from someone like Graeme (Valvebloke on the Wam) or Mr Firebottle here could be prudent - there's a lot of expensive damage possible with a popped capacitor and your speakers (and house) deserve a bit of protection...boring but prudent. They will check over the valves at the same time so you know if there's a discernable problem there.
    All very solid advice.

I'm Simon.

Paul, well me for one, my mate kiteshop Dave and a couple of others I can mention. The point is, that despite what you think of them, other opinions exist, and the OP may hear what I, and others do. Certainly, he's unhappy at the minute so let's not try and push any viewpoint out of the equation.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    All very solid advice.
    + 1
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    Paul, well me for one, my mate kiteshop Dave and a couple of others I can mention. The point is, that despite what you think of them, other opinions exist, and the OP may hear what I, and others do. Certainly, he's unhappy at the minute so let's not try and push any viewpoint out of the equation.
    Fair point Simon.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Simon.

Little known Zu fact, their Superfly model was named after the Snowkite event that they used to sponsor each year. (We used to run the event).

Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Steve.

Wow, this is one steep learning curve! Thank you all so much for your kind offers of help, a real community spirit!

Jerry, your offer to loan me your Mini-T amp sounds like it would be worth a try, I didn't know such a thing existed, but it sounds like it would be so different from a SET amp, that it could show whether the problem was amp or speaker related.

I've never done a PM, but I'll have a go now.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Wow, this is one steep learning curve! Thank you all so much for your kind offers of help, a real community spirit!

Jerry, your offer to loan me your Mini-T amp sounds like it would be worth a try, I didn't know such a thing existed, but it sounds like it would be so different from a SET amp, that it could show whether the problem was amp or speaker related.

I've never done a PM, but I'll have a go now.
    PM received.
    I'll post the wee beastie tomorrow.

I'd be interested in your views on the sound quality as well!

I'm Steve.

I've had a few days using a Mini-T amp kindly loaned by Jandl100 (thanks Jerry).

After connecting it up, a bit fiddly as everything on the rear is so close together, my first impression was that the coarseness I was experiencing with the Audion was reduced somewhat (not completely gone, and I'm thinking this could be due to other factors suggested by others, such as speakers and/or room effects, and mains supply).

It looks likely that I have perhaps been pushing the 300b a bit hard. As a rule of thumb, I increase the volume until the cat leaves the room, then I know I've got it about right.

I couldn't believe so much could come out of such a tiny box! With the control at the 10 o'clock position thing on the shelves were buzzing a fair bit (sorry Jerry, I've turned it down to 9 o'clock now)

Short term plans now will be to (reluctantly) return the Mini-T, perhaps buy a better mains lead/plug (any suggestions?) and arrange for the amp to be checked over/serviced. Someone suggested Mr. Firebottle. In any case I'll need to know the Audion is working as it should, if I end up changing it for something else.

I'M going to have another couple of hours with this little gem and some "Random Access Memories", as the boss has gone off to the Bingo (wahay). I do hope she wins.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    As a rule of thumb, I increase the volume until the cat leaves the room, then I know I've got it about right.

Steve - feel free to hang on to the Mini-T as long as you like. No rush to get it back as I can see its excellent capabilities are being appreciated.
    Get yourself sorted first - maybe by buying yourself the latest Amptastic Mini-1.

I'm Steve.

Thanks Jerry, you're too kind! I will keep it a bit longer if that's ok, I have a friend visiting a week on Saturday, I've been raving about it to him and now he'll get a chance to hear it.

You must have read my mind re. the Mini-1. I've been researching it online, including a couple of reviews by your good self. The missus doesn't know it yet (still at bingo) but this needs to be in my Christmas stocking this year. Should fit in quite easily.

If its no better than the Mini-T, its still more than good enough.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast