+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fear of a Blank Planet

I'm Shaun.

Default Fear of a Blank Planet

OK so this is brand new to me and was purchased from our local HMV yesterday.
    First impression is that the quality of the compact disc package is really good and of very high quality.
    So today I decided to give this album a listen but was highly disappointed in some ways but not in others.
    The recording quality is exceptional in which I particularly like the recorded drum sound. The quality of the bass drum beater on the drum skin is amazing the likes of which I haven't really heard since Brand X's Moroccan Roll back in 1978. Sadly though the lyrics are mainly just a collection of self indulgent drivel. I guess my only option is to revisit this album when my mood is better suited to this kind of wording.
    Even a guest appearance by Alex Lifeson couldn't drag this out of the quick sand.

This was only my second listen to music by this band.
    I have so many better things to do with my time and so much more emotive music to listen to.

As always this is only my view on this album.
    Yours will be different.

I'm Steve.

Porcupine Tree (Steven Wilson) have been a long time listen here, but it has to be said that I prefer the early releases and "Signify" and "Stupid Dream" are my immediate go tos.

I have all their catalogue in one form or another but the later stuff inc. "Fear Of A Blank Planet" very rarely get played.

Very Interesting guy is Steve Wilson. but I don't think you will enjoy his solo output if "Fear" leaves you cold.

We saw him in Cardiff a couple of years ago and I don't think I have ever been to a more boring concert in my life. just far too "chin strokee"...

On the other hand he is highly (and rightly so) respected for remastering the back catalogues of King Crimson, Jethro Tull and others.

Add water... Makes It's own sauce! + Don't Do Rap.. Don't do Urrban.. Don't do Modern R&B and Don't Do Radio 1 cos it's all fecking SHITE

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre De Grenoble View Post
    We saw him in Cardiff a couple of years ago and I don't think I have ever been to a more boring concert in my life. just far too "chin strokee"...
    LOL, I so know what you mean.

At the same time I bought this I also bought the new album by Robert Plant and it is suffering from the same dirge-y kind of blandness that just leaves me wondering why the hell I am wasting valuable electricity.

Then of course I bought the reissue of 'Leftism' and holy shiite it is amazing.

I'm malcolm.

Weird I just listened to it for the first time and quite enjoyed, my wife has been enjoying the new Wilson album - To The Bone - so that will be my next listen, although I find his singing quite uninspiring we'll see...and would you believe we're booked to see him in Cardiff next year, I hope it's better than the show you saw
    Audiophile Tosher

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by willbewill View Post
    Weird I just listened to it for the first time and quite enjoyed, my wife has been enjoying the new Wilson album - To The Bone - so that will be my next listen, although I find his singing quite uninspiring we'll see...and would you believe we're booked to see him in Cardiff next year, I hope it's better than the show you saw
    I have 2 or 3 of his solo offerings on CD still (never bought Bone) but the next time I have a cull...

One woman's/man's earache is an other's music, as they say.. Have a good night anyways..
    Add water... Makes It's own sauce! + Don't Do Rap.. Don't do Urrban.. Don't do Modern R&B and Don't Do Radio 1 cos it's all fecking SHITE

I'm Shaun.

OK, managed to listen to half the album last night and it is getting better. Still really impressed by the sound quality/recording quality. It is a shedload better than the Robert Plant album which sounds like really cheesey 70's rock.

I'm David.

I think Steve Wilson needs a bit of roughness to his vocals to suit the music.
    avid hifi | audiomica | amphion | anthem | audioquest | ascendo | bel canto | bluesound | caas audio | eggleston works | exposure | hegel | isoacoustics | innuos | kef audio | larsen | lumin | merason | moonriver | nagaoka | ophidian | primare | perlisten | paradigm | svs | spectral furniture | silent angel

www.thelittleaudio.company 0753 888 1969 / 0121 638 0721

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by the little audio company View Post
    I think Steve Wilson needs a bit of roughness to his vocals to suit the music.
    David, I have to agree. I find some of their material everso slightly heavy metal to which his voice doesn't really fit. Overall though I like the general trend of this album. Maybe one day I'll be able to get through to the end

I'm Steve.

Got to admit that despite being a big Wilson fan I was tiring of the same old same old. His new album is a slight departure from his usual formula. However, i really think he peaked with The Raven That Refused To Sing. As for PT I am very selective with their albums preferring the album that Wilson himself didn't like, The Sky Moves Sideways. I think like Phil Collins in the eighties Wilson has reached saturation point.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyddroid View Post
    Got to admit that despite being a big Wilson fan I was tiring of the same old same old. His new album is a slight departure from his usual formula. However, i really think he peaked with The Raven That Refused To Sing. As for PT I am very selective with their albums preferring the album that Wilson himself didn't like, The Sky Moves Sideways. I think like Phil Collins in the eighties Wilson has reached saturation point.
    I think I have to agree with you there regarding SW output.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast