+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Timing and nuance

I'm Howard.

Default Timing and nuance

Paul McGowan writes:

Musical scores are precise instructions detailing how the composer wished the music to be played: notes and tempo are fixed, accents and volume levels accounted for. Two performers tickling identical ivories should, therefore, render carbon copies of Beethoven’s Moonlight Sonata.

But that never happens.

The differences are timing and nuance—an observation that might also shed light on a tired argument: “If bits are bits, how can two different methods of serving those same bits sound different?”

Timing and nuance.

Or, take a recipe as another example: exacting lists of ingredients, portions, temperatures—even technique—rarely come out the same.

Timing and nuance.

Is it responsible to argue that bits are bits while ignoring all the other factors at play? (And isn’t such a black and white argument of a complex technology a little lopsided?)

Seems to me there must be a reasonable middle ground somewhere—I just can’t seem to find it.

END
    Well, hello.

I'm brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post

Paul McGowan writes:

Musical scores are precise instructions detailing how the composer wished the music to be played: notes and tempo are fixed, accents and volume levels accounted for. Two performers tickling identical ivories should, therefore, render carbon copies of Beethoven’s Moonlight Sonata.

Is it responsible to argue that bits are bits while ignoring all the other factors at play? (And isn’t such a black and white argument of a complex technology a little lopsided?)

Seems to me there must be a reasonable middle ground somewhere—I just can’t seem to find it.[/I]

END

Im not sure who Paul mcgowan is, but im not sure where he is coming from and what is his point.

musical scores are not about "precise instructions" . they are a guide.
    it isnt science we are deal with here. nothing is set in stone

who is he suggesting is arguing ? what really is he suggesting that "they' are arguing.

i think he needs to be more "precise" in what his point is...............................all seems a bit vague .

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by take5
    Musical scores are not about "precise instructions" . They are a guide.
    Agreed! Whereas if you follow a cooking recipe to the letter, it will turn out the same time after time, as long as the ingredients are to the same quality.
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Agreed! Whereas if you follow a cooking recipe to the letter, it will turn out the same time after time, as long as the ingredients are to the same quality.
    Yes. Having been a decent classical pianist as a youngster. That soon becomes clear as you learn.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by take5 View Post
    Im not sure who Paul mcgowan is, but im not sure where he is coming from and what is his point is.
    Paul McGowan and Neil McCauley are effectively Internet ‘bots’ whose purpose is to create and disseminate (largely worthless) copy to the Internet in the hope of creating visits to their website - they can then seek advertising based on the number of ‘hits’ their website is receiving.
    Account Deleted

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    Paul McGowan and Neil McCauley are effectively Internet ‘bots’ whose purpose is to create and disseminate (largely worthless) copy to the Internet in the hope of creating visits to their website - they can then seek advertising based on the number of ‘hits’ their website is receiving.
    Spot on as indeed are Brian, Barry and Geoff's comments.

I'm Deleted.

In truth it’s not worth commenting on these threads as they are not monitored by the original posters and never replied to - they are entirely worthless Internet spam that is (presumably) tolerated because they help generate some secondary forum traffic.
    Account Deleted

montesquieu Guest

In truth it’s not worth commenting on these threads as they are not monitored by the original posters and never replied to - they are entirely worthless Internet spam that is (presumably) tolerated because they help generate some secondary forum traffic.
    Well it's cathartic to call out bollox for what it is.

I'm brian.

thanks for the clarification. It makes sense now.
    Or rather, the reason behind the post makes sense. Not the actual post.

I'm Howard.

I see. Have we met? i don't recall doing so. I ask only inasmuch as you seem to "know" our intentions. Thank you for your consideration.

Neil

PS: What advertising? I don't see any on our site. Are we missing something?
    Well, hello.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast