+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast

Thread: Heybrook TT2 w. RB300 -- cartridge recommendations

I'm Shane.

Great stuff, Svend! Nice to hear that your findings are pretty much what I was hoping. Compared to the RB300/1022, it’s a completely different sort of wonderful.
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

I'm Svend.

Quite so, Shane. Not knocking the RB300/1022 combo -- it sounds outstanding. Not necessarily better or worse, just different. It's simply that the ADC combo sounds so sweet, more integrated and together, if you know what I mean. I really do need a few more weeks of listening time with the ADCs to really get a good sense of them. You were quite right in your previous post in that one often hears more when one is only half-listening.

Don't forget, I still have a Rega Planar 3 sitting in storage, waiting for the basement listening room to get renovated and the second system to be installed there. And then there's the Planar 2 that the LMF-2 arm came on, which my daughter will get. Whatever arms I don't use on the Heybrook will go on these two decks. And with a Goldring 1022 and Ortofon 2M Bronze to choose from, the sound shouldn't be too shabby from either one . In other words, the RB300/1022 will stay in the family one way or another.

Best,
    Svend

I'm Shane.

And we haven’t even introduced you to moving coils yet! ��

I'm Svend.

Quote Originally Posted by shane View Post
    And we haven’t even introduced you to moving coils yet! ��
    Good Lord! That seems like an endless spiral of spending, like an addiction, considering what I see other vinylheads doing... But I have thought about it and may go down that road one day. I'd really like to hear one before I commit the money to that little experiment. So send me one and I'll let you know how I like it . Seriously, for the time being I have other audio things to spend my budget on -- daughter's new system; DAC for myself; etc.. Besides, I've reached the point with the Heybrook that all I have left to do is little tweaks and adjustments. This deck is sounding so good now that I've pretty much reached the point where I can (finally!) just sit back and enjoy the music. Not sure I want to open the MC door just yet...

I'm Shane.

Sorry Svend, just pulling your leg! By the sound of it you’ve reached a point now where it’s time to just sit back and enjoy the music.

I'm Svend.

Quite so! A few more fine tuning tweaks to the Heybrook, and then work on better isolation, and then I think I'll be content. Then it'll be on to the next turntable project -- the Planar 3 -- and getting it all tuned up and tweaked. All good fun!

Cheers,
    Svend

I'm Svend.

Shane, did you want me to keep you apprised of changes and tweaks that I make to the TT2? I plan to play around with various isolation methods, platter mats, damping the bottom plate, etc.. If you're interested in hearing about them, or think other TT2 owners would benefit, then let me know and I'd be happy to post intermittent updates here.

And now a quick question: since replacing the belt with a new, tighter one, I find the motor is having a much harder time spinning up the platter. I've taken to giving it a little helping hand and getting it moving before switching the motor on. Is this normal, or a sign that the motor is losing it's gusto?

I'm jamie.

i dont think thats normal,mine certainly didnt have trouble spinning up with a new belt.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Svend.

Hi Jamie -- thanks for the reply. Just to be clear, it does get up to speed without assistance, but it takes about twice as long as before with the old, looser belt. My concern is that the motor is working harder to get things moving so I give it a hand so as not to cause damage. Is the belt perhaps too tight? It looks like the motor mount bolts are in slots that allow some adjustment of belt tension. I believe the tech who worked on the PSU also adjusted the motor position, but with the old belt.

I'm jamie.

does the belt run dead in the centre of the pulley on the crown?
    i may be wrong here but i dont think the tightness of the belt has any thing to do with how the motor gets up to speed,apart from if its slipping of coarse.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast