+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Heybrook TT2 w. RB300 -- cartridge recommendations

I'm Geoff.

Is this of interest? See last post (and whole thread).

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...449#post924449
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Svend.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Is this of interest? See last post (and whole thread).

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...449#post924449
    Hmmm...thanks for that Geoff. I was tempted for about 5 minutes, then looked at the asking price from post #1 of a 774 in less than mint shape. As comparison, I am getting the LMF-2, and a ZLM cart, and a Rega Planar 2, for the same amount. And all are (apparently) in perfect condition, with no Customs duties to worry about . Great idea, but I think I will pass. But it was very good of you point me there. I appreciate you thinking of me.

You know, if the 774's are that good, I can keep my eyes open for one here. But if I am smitten by the LMF arm, then I may just go on contentedly and happily listening to the Heybrook as it is. We'll see....

Best regards,
    Svend

I'm Svend.

Guys, I picked up the LMF-2 yesterday! Attached to it was a very nice Rega Planar 2 in great shape. Bonus!

The arm seems to be in A-OK condition. Bearings all seem nice and tight, no binding. Very nice arm, BTW. I am going to LOVE the VTA adjust. Man, I hope this thing sounds good.

ZLM cartridge also seems just fine. The seller said he's checked out the stylus under a microscope or something, and claims there's lots of life left, which was good to hear.

The audition at his house didn't blow me away, but then he just plunked the deck on top of a tower speaker directly beside another speaker that was playing (a big boomy Klipsch), so undoubtedly not level and really not a great platform . That, and I found out upon later inspection that the headshell fixing screw was loose. I will reserve judgement on the arm until it's properly set up on the Heybrook....

...which sadly won't be for at least another week or more, as I'm travelling on business this week and won't be home until the 10th earliest. Bugger! I really want to hear this arm.

As an aside, this guy had a rather nice system. Aside from the Klipsch speakers, he had a pair of Polk RTA 15 TL speakers which sounded very sweet indeed. Wonderful lively but natural sound for such big boxes. They were being driven by an Onkyo Integra M-504/P-308 pre-/power amp combo. I was very impressed! Superb clarity and detail. I would like to have stayed and listened for a while longer.

In the meantime here are some pics of the arm...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Svend N; 04-12-2017 at 01:49.

I'm Dave.

Back in the good ol' days, we were given a box of those arms by the distributor of that time. We gave them away on Linns, Michells etc as a means of helping customers to buy their desired turntable.

I'm Shane.

Roll on the 11th....
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

I'm Svend.

Installed the LMF-2 arm tonight. Got it all set up and adjusted. All went well until the very last step -- setting the anti-skate. Wouldn't you know it, the bias adjuster mechanism is buggered. I had turned it to zero to balance the arm, and on turning it back up the range again a little nylon thread popped out of the adjuster dial. Damn! Double damn! Just my luck. The arm is unplayable...it just skates straight across the record and won't even stay in a groove. Now I have to yank the deck out yet again , take off the arm and open up the AS mech to see if I can fix it.

This fussing around with tonearms on this deck is getting tiresome to say the least. Serves me right I suppose, for buying old gear.

If anyone has ever done an anti-skate repair on an ADC arm and has any tips on how to do this, please post back here. I'd be most grateful.

Best,
    Svend

I'm Shane.

Now that’s bad luck! Hope it’s a straightforward fix. At least there isn’t a toothed belt in there!
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

I'm Svend.

The AS in this arm might be fubar....not sure yet, but as it appears right now it seems beyond my skill to fix it. I took it apart tonight for a look-see. It works by a very fine nylon thread attached to the setting dial which is in turn connected to the arm pivot post. There's a small coil spring tied in the middle of said thread. Well, the thread broke just at a recess in the arm post and there's no way I'll be able to tie another string to it. The attachment point is embedded into the aluminum post, also with no way to just tie another string on there.

I'm going to have to have a good long think on this one to see if I can figure out how to jury rig something. I might have to go with an external string-and-weight thingy...not sure yet. I'll check with a couple of techs as well to see if anyone has worked on these arms and could do it for me. Audio Origami comes first to mind.

In the meantime I'll put the RB300 back on there for now, as it's the only arm I presently have that's functional.

What a pain in the rear...

Best,
    Svend

I'm Svend.

A quick update here... After contacting a couple of techs, neither of whom wanted to touch this job, I managed to fix the broken AS thread on the LMF-2 arm by using a short length of nylon fishing line, a small dab of epoxy putty (JB Weld Plastic Weld) to attach it to the recess in the swivelling arm post, and some regular quick-set epoxy to glue the other end to the remained of the broken thread on the end of the spring. A fiddly and sticky bit of work to be sure, barely within the ability of my big clumsy Viking hands to manage, but I got it done in the end. I'm glad it worked, as I really didn't want to toss this arm after all I went through to get it, never mind the expense.

As I'm too busy at the moment (it's that season, isn't it? ) to mount the arm on the Heybrook, the listening tests will have to wait until later next week when things settle down. In the meantime I have mounted the brand new Goldring 1022 on the RB300 and have been running these on the deck for the last few days. I must say I am impressed with this combo. Even though the 1022 is not even broken in yet (maybe 6 hours playing time), it's sounding very nice indeed. Better match for this arm, it seems, than the 2M Bronze -- fuller, more immediate, not so distant and thin. I had nearly written off the RB300 as being dull sounding, as others have noted, but this cartridge really seems to make it come alive. I'm going to leave them on the Heybrook for a while and just enjoy the tunes, breaking in the cartridge with Christmas music

Best,
    Svend
    Last edited by Svend N; 20-12-2017 at 14:19.

I'm Svend.

Just a quick note to say how good the Goldring 1022 / RB300 combination is on the Heybrook! All those who've commented here on the good synergy between Rega arms and the Goldring 1000 series were absolutely correct. It sounds excellent. A much better match for this arm (on this deck) than the 2M Bronze was. Far more dynamic, warmer, fuller sound. Bigger soundstage, richer midrange. No less detailed than the Bronze either. Biggest gain of all is the lack of sibilance over the Bronze, esp. on some older jazz recordings with brushed cymbals -- it was just high-frequency haze, but now it actually has some definition and clarity to it. Wonderful.

This combo ticks all the boxes of what I've been after with vinyl.

I've got about 20 hours on this new cartridge, so I don't think it might even be broken in yet. If it gets even better I'll be a happy lad. I'm in no great hurry to put the ADC arm on the Heybrook just yet....simply enjoying the music for now from this wonderful turntable.

Best wishes to all for a Happy New Year.

Svend

+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast