+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Heybrook TT2 w. RB300 -- cartridge recommendations

I'm Svend.

Thanks Shane. Not sure I will even use a lid just now. The cabinet is a bit of a tight fit, and I aim to put the TT2 on some sort of more solid support, making even less room in there. For now I just use a silk handkerchief to keep the dust off. Works fine. OTOH, if we ever replace the cabinet with a different stand, then a lid would be great to have. Thanks for the tip!

Svend

I'm Svend.

Quote Originally Posted by Svend N View Post
    BTW, I wanted to mount the R200 last night, but the dang cable connector popped off the bottom of the arm and ripped off two of the little arm wires . After much cussing and swearing I calmed down enough to attempt a soldering job -- not easy! those wires are as fine as hair. I think I finally succeeded after three tries, and have continuity from every terminal at the end of the arm to the RCAs. I'll quickly test the arm back on the Planar deck to make sure it works, before I take the trouble to mount it on the Heybrook.
    Tested the arm on the P3 today and it works! Soldering job successful. Thank goodness! I will swap it onto the Heybrook at my earliest opportunity to see how it sounds. If it's at least as good (or close) as the RB300 then I will rewire it to really get the best out of it. More later...

Svend

I'm Svend.

Here's a question for Shane: if you look at the attached pic of the underside of the armboard, there are two mounting bolts visible (which I presume are the factory mounting bolts). But there are also two small square-drive screws. Are these factory? I did not take either out, not knowing their purpose, but it seems they might be holding the armboard fast. If so, then perhaps I should remove them? I recall you saying in another thread that the armboard sounded best with only one mounting bolt fastened, and a second unfastened just to align the board....correct?

Any insight would be helpful. Many thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Shane.

Yes, that’s as it should be. I can’t remember the detailed theory, but we found that because of the much greater contact area between the board and the alloy chassis compared with the steel one, it worked better that way. The little wood screws give the board a bit more stability without being strong enough to provide sufficient clamping pressure to create a second rigid energy path between the two.
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

I'm Svend.

Good one - thanks Shane! I was worried that someone had drilled through the chassis and put in screws where they didn't belong.

And I thought Robertson screws were only used in Canada

On another note, I've been meaning to thank you for all your patient assistance during the past couple of weeks. I wouldn't be anywhere near having this turntable in the condition it's in if it wasn't for all your help. Greatly appreciated, and not taken for granted! Hope I can repay the favour one day.

Best wishes,
    Svend
    Last edited by Svend N; 23-11-2017 at 01:34.

I'm Svend.

Forgot to mention: I mounted the R200 arm last night and had a quick listen. The bad news is that my little soldering repair seems to have been only partly successful. The arm gave off an evil hissing sound, even at rest. Touching anywhere along the phono cable and moving it only the slightest bit unleashed an ungodly crackling. Music did come out, but only at much lower volume. I finally wiggled the cable into a position where the noise disappeared and output was normal, and then had a proper listen to a few songs.

First impressions: Wow! Very nice! Now I know what you and some others here have been going on about re. this arm. Sounds wonderful. It has a fullness, warmth, and silkiness to the sound that the RB300 didn't have. More listening coming tonight, but I sense I'm getting very close to achieving the sound I was after with this turntable. I think this arm is a keeper!

BTW, in order to keep all variables as close as possible to the RB300 (save the cable and maybe a wee bit of VTA difference...I tried to get it as near as I could by eyeballing it) I moved the 2M Bronze from the RB300 over to the R200, using the same Rega Baerwald alignment. Boy, the R200 really makes that cartridge sing. Totally different sound character -- the analytical, sterile, etched sound seems to be gone. Lots of jump and boogie happening. Very impressive!

In any case, the arm will need to be rewired. I am contemplating doing it myself, as the AS bias belt is still intact and the bearings are tight. It's just a matter of cracking open the headshell connector and threading the wires up through the stem. Should be easy... OTOH, J7 at Audio Origami would really give it a thorough going over, plus new wiring, for a very reasonable price. Will think on that...

More tomorrow after I have a good long listen...

Cheers,
    Svend

I'm Shane.

Quote Originally Posted by Svend N View Post
    On another note, I've been meaning to thank you for all your patient assistance during the past couple of weeks. I wouldn't be anywhere near having this turntable in the condition it's in if it wasn't for all your help. Greatly appreciated, and not taken for granted! Hope I can repay the favour one day.

Best wishes,
    Svend
    It’s a funny old world. Forty years ago a couple of mates of mine had an idea to make a loudspeaker, and I was playing with bits of old turntables in my bedroom because as a broke twenty-something I couldn’t afford to buy a decent one. The loudspeaker idea sort of grew and my mates formed a company to put it into production in an old barn in Devon. One of them lived in a village called Heybrook Bay, so that gave them a name. Since I was out of work at the time I joined them assembling what was by then theHB2. That went well, and the HB3 and HB1 rapidly followed, and it was decided to put some of my turntable ideas into a proper product which became the TT2. After a couple of years things moved on, I left the company and the hifi business, and over the years the Heybrook years just became s distant memory. Thirty years later along comes the internet and hifi forums and suddenly I find that there’s a whole load of people out there who own and love TT2s and want to get the best out of them years after I’d left all that behind. It’s immensely gratifying to be able to revive all those memories and be able to help, and a bit humbling to think that my hobby project has been quietly giving people so much pleasure for so long. The pleasure’s all mine!

I'm Svend.

Wonderful story Shane! It's clear from your posts here that you really are quite passionate about your work on the TT2 back in the day. And yes, it must be very gratifying to see so many people recognize what a great design it was and take the time and energy to keep these decks running. Funny, here in Canada the Heybrook name makes people, whether in the industry or just enthusiasts, instantly sit up and take notice... "Oh! That's a good turntable!" is the reaction I've been getting from just about everyone from high-end dealers to audiophiles. Nothing but positive things to say. So everyone here knows the Heybrook TT2 and knows how good it is. You should be proud.

All the best,
    Svend

I'm Svend.

Quote Originally Posted by shane View Post
    Thinking about it, the LMF-2 was one of those things like a Lotus Europa or a C-Class catamaran. All your mates lusted after one but we all ended up with Minis and Enterprises instead and dreams that never quite came true. The difference now of course is that forty years on a C class would probably kill me and I doubt if i could even get into a Europa, but an LMF-2 is still perfectly practical!

Just refreshing my memory on Google, its a gorgeous looking thing, but that long counterweight stub means you'd probably have to run it without the lid.
    So Shane (or anyone else with experience with this), just how good is the LMF-2 arm? Any more insight? I'm looking at picking it up this weekend, but it's a 5 hour round trip drive, plus the purchase price. If it's only on par with the RB300 or R200 then I wouldn't bother. I would get him to ship it but it's attached to a Rega Planar 2 deck , which is part of the deal (not that I need another turntable ). That, and I'd actually like to see it and hear it in person. It has to be worth the bother.

Curious to hear more about this from anyone who knows this arm.

Best,
    Svend

I'm Shane.

I only know it from reputation, Svend. I haven’t used one myself. I’d expect it to be a good bit better than the Regas, but don’t quote me on that!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast