+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Heybrook TT2 w. RB300 -- cartridge recommendations

I'm Clive.

I keep the TPS on mine plugged in. Don't find the TPS gets noticeably warm when not used.

I'm Shane.

Sorry Svend, the TPS was a later addition to the TT2 some years after I left Heybrook, so I don’t have any knowledge of its circuitry. Indeed, I’ve never even seen one! I think it was designed by Tim de Paravicini of EAR, so he may possibly be able to enlighten you.
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

I'm Svend.

Quote Originally Posted by cre009 View Post
    I keep the TPS on mine plugged in. Don't find the TPS gets noticeably warm when not used.
    Thanks Clive. Good to know that. Seems like there might be something amiss with mine then.

Shane -- as long as Tim doesn't mind me contacting him, then it's certainly worth asking the question. Thanks for that.

This is quite odd, I must say -- I don't recall ever seeing a piece of electronics that got or stayed warm when switched off. It's like the board is live all the time, and wired wrong - i.e. the switch is on the neutral wire, not the hot side. I will contact the tech who did the service first, before I bother Tim with it.

Thanks guys!
    Svend

PS -- sibilance on the Bronze is pretty much gone now . Treated the stylus to a few dunks in a Magic Eraser, and that cured it. I've not used one of those before - remarkable! Never using a stylus brush again...

I'm Clive.

Svend - a couple of things

First be aware that my installation is different to yours in that my deck has an on/off switch. The TPS was installed later and is configured so that the switch on the deck lights up if I set the TPS to either 33 or 45 rpm.

There is equipment that does still use power when switched off. The AR XA turntables are like that in that there is slight vibration on the pulleys when the turntable is switched off. There are plenty of posts by users who are disconcerted by the vibration.

The concern I would have with your TPS is that it is getting warm.

I'm Svend.

Yes, it is unusual. Just to be clear, the TPS is not getting hot, just slightly warm. And this even after sitting overnight, all equipment in the cabinet switched off -- amps, tuner, CD player, the whole lot.

From what you say re. the AR deck, is it possible that the motor in the TT2 is drawing some power?

I have sent a message to the tech who worked on the TPS to ask his insight. Hope to hear back soon.

Svend

I'm Clive.

Just checked my TT2 again - no indications of any power to the deck when the TPS is in the off position. No indication of any warmth on either the case or underside of the TPS.

I'm Svend.

Thanks Clive! That's a great help, and good to know. Heard back from the tech, and according to him the TPS is always in "standby mode", even when switched off. He said there are two large resistors in there that get warm, which is where the heat comes from. Nothing to worry about, says he. I trust him at his word, as he's done some top-notch work for me over the years and knows his stuff.

Still, odd that your unit doesn't show the same behaviour. That, and it makes me a little uncomfortable knowing the unit is energized when it's supposed to be switched off. I've now plugged it into a power bar with an on-off switch, and I'll be using that to shut it off properly when not in use.

Best,
    Svend

I'm Clive.

I checked again this morning when the room was cold after a chilly night. There was a slight warmth in the unit relative to the equipment stand it is sited on but very mild.

I'm Svend.

Hmmm...interesting. So it seems my unit isn't wired weird after all. This confirms what the tech said. Thanks Clive! Makes me feel much better. My TPS is quite noticeably warm, but then it's sitting in an enclosed cabinet with little to no air circulation. Maybe a difference in the voltage here also, and different parts, causing more heat...who knows...?

I appreciate you checking. Hope I didn't cause you any worry for your own unit(?).

I'm Steve.

Hi Svend,

I have a TT2 also, and used to have the integrated TPS (where the normal TT on/off switch is removed). I had a couple of issues with it - first one necessitating replacement caps and the second one being unfortunately terminal. I never found out what it was. Anyway, reason for the post is that I was given some really helpful information from Guy at Puresound (I think he posts here), especially one relating to potential problems caused by overheating. If you think it might help you I can let you have copies (once I work out how to do it!).

I ended up getting a Heed Orbit for mine - works a treat

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast