+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Heybrook TT2 w. RB300 -- cartridge recommendations

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Svend N View Post
    Here you go...
    The cables are not original, however this is not necessarily a bad thing.

I'm Geoff.

For future reference, I found another very detailed thread on repairing the R200 bias belt:

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntabl...p?f=32&t=49784

Some very good pictures here and good step by step description.
    Somewhat like this.

Yes. That was mine in bits.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Svend.

Quote Originally Posted by freefallrob View Post
    The cables are not original, however this is not necessarily a bad thing.
    Quite so, Rob. One would think that someone taking the trouble to replace the wiring would have done so in order to upgrade it. If that's the case, this arm is looking better and better.

I'm contemplating not even bothering to set up the Bronze on the Heybrook/RB300 at this point, and just doing an arm swap straight away and leaving the Bronze on the R200.

Originally Posted by walpurgis
    Somewhat like this.
    Good one Geoff. Is this from a thread of yours?

It would sure be nice if I didn't have to do all that, but it's probably inevitable.

Svend

I'm Geoff.

Is this from a thread of yours?
    No. Just some photos I saved whilst doing the job. I sold the arm shortly afterwards.

You'll find getting the plastic inner and outer magnet moving helix correctly aligned the most annoying part. The outer rotating piece has several possible positions and you need the get the operating knob set to point correctly.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Svend.

Pardon my lack of knowledge, but what is the purpose of the little cylinder at the end of the shaft which extends inboard from the tonearm, between CW and pivot?

I'm Geoff.

Pardon my lack of knowledge, but what is the purpose of the little cylinder at the end of the shaft which extends inboard from the tonearm, between CW and pivot?
    It's a lateral balance weight, to compensate for the arm's 'S' shape offsetting the headshell and its weight. They are not uncommon. The Pioneer PL-12D has one.

I think they are basically a waste of time. Any imparted torsional effects through the arm without one seem to produce nothing untoward. An old tweak was to remove them as they were regarded as prone to resonating.

I'm Svend.

Got it! Thanks for that. I see your point about resonating. Every little thing matters, eh?

BTW, back to the wiring on my arm, if you look at the 2nd and 3rd pics in the Vinyl Engine thread that I linked, his arm seems to have the exact same cables as mine. This makes me think that perhaps at some point during the production period of this deck/arm Rega changed their cables from what Rob and Shane have seen, and that the ones on mine are in fact original. Again, not necessarily bad (I hope).

Svend

I'm Geoff.

There are aftermarket conversion kits for tonearms, that include a five pin plug that sits in the recess at the base of the arm stem and a lead with a captive corresponding socket.

I'm Svend.

So basically that would allow easy swapping of outboard cables? Is that worth doing to this arm? How good (or poor) might the stock tonearm wires and connecting cables be? (keeping in mind it's going on the Heybrook)

I'm Shane.

Don’t forget that on a suspended turntable like the TT2, the more flexible the better. Some of the really thick figure 8 cables can be a nightmare to dress properly.
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast