+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Heybrook TT2 w. RB300 -- cartridge recommendations

I'm Geoff.

I've said it before and I know many seem happy with their Rega arms, but I found the RB250 and RB300 unimpressive.

I used both, with minor upgrades, on a Technics SL-1210. With my ZYX R100 mounted, both arms worked and produced music, but swapping over to my Mission 774 arm was like somebody had waved a magic wand over the music. The whole thing opened up and came to life!

So put that in yer pipe and smoke it!!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Svend.

Cough! Gasp! Wheeze! Good Lord, what's that awful smell?!

I'm Svend.

Seriously -- it's all good feedback guys! Thanks for the insight. Everything posted like this is most helpful, and makes navigating the audio gear maze so much easier.

Cheers,
    Svend

I'm Svend.

FYI, I just started another thread with some more questions about setting up the Heybrook. Mostly little things, but all important stuff (cart alignment, isolation, etc.).

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...he-small-stuff

Thanks,
    Svend

I'm Svend.

Has anyone had experience with Grado cartridges on the Heybrook? If not, maybe on the similar LP12? I have read that hum is a problem with these carts on both decks. Has anyone found a fix for that?

Thanks,
    Svend

I'm Rob.

I have, RB300 with Grado Prestige Gold, you do get hum, but it's not bad. More concerning is the 'Grado wobble' that occures with this combination, on some records it can throw the cart out of the groove......

I'm Svend.

Sounds rather dramatic Rob, and not something I want to deal with. Thanks for the head's up on that. Rules out Grado from the hunt. I've pretty much narrowed it down then to Goldring 2000 series (prob. the 2500); Ortofon 2M Bronze; or the Nagaoka MP-150. Will visit some shops this weekend and dig deeper.

Regards,
    Svend

I'm Rob.

That was on the Heybrook too....

I'm Svend.

Got it! Thanks for clarifying. That definitely rules out the Grados then.

Re. MC cartridges, I do want to try one at some point, but will wait until I have a tonearm on the deck that has removable headshell so I can swap back and forth and experiment a bit.

Regards,
    Svend

I'm Svend.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
    I replaced it for a while with an ortofon 2m black but I didn't get on with it. That was replaced with an at150 mlx which seems to be very similar the th black but was far less hassle to set up and just goes about its job stress free day in day out. I've no plans to change it apart from wanting to try an AT mc at some point.

Sent from my SM-T330 using Tapatalk
    Ben, what was it you didn't like about the 2M black as compared to the Goldring 2500? My short list for the Heybrook is now the 2M Bronze (similar to the Black), the 2500, and the Nagaoka MP-150 or 200. I am strongly leaning toward the Goldring, actually. I'd welcome your thoughts on this. Thanks!
    Svend

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast