+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Heybrook TT2 w. RB300 -- cartridge recommendations

I'm Svend.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for chiming in here. Any info regarding the TT2 would be most welcome. I am so taken with this deck that I can see it being a central part of my main system for a very long time. It keeps sounding better and better the more I tweak it. Remarkable!

Guy from Parasound does post here, and in fact dropped in to this thread re. original parts for the TT2 that he got when the factory closed. Was his feedback to you part of this forum? If so, maybe I can search for it, or you could post a link to lead me to it? Don't want to create any inconvenience for you copying stuff...

Re. overheating, that's interesting given the recent discovery that the TPS unit stays "live" all the time, even when switched off. I wonder if that had something to do with your overheating issue? As I mentioned, I've now got mine plugged in to a power bar and I just shut it off when not in use.

As for fatal problems, my understanding is that there are a couple of chips in the TPS that can fail and are no longer obtainable. There are quite a number of posts about that here and elsewhere on other forums. Crossing fingers here that my unit holds out. But good of you to suggest a replacement in the event it does go south. I do wonder if early failure of these chips may be partly caused by the "always on" state of the TPS?

BTW, I received delivery of a Goldring 1022 yesterday, and if I get to it tonight I will mount it to the R200 arm and swap the arms. Should be interesting to hear the difference from the 2M Bronze/RB300 on there now...

Regards,
    Svend

PS -- great avatar! Big Python fan here

I'm Steve.

No worries, Svend. I've only just joined the forum so still finding my way about, but either way you are welcome to any info I have on the TT2 or TPS. I'll have more time at the weekend to work things out. My own TPS failed back in 2013 and I can't honestly recall whether it was running hot like yours or not. The good news though is that the TT2 and Heed replacement PSU work a real treat - if anything slightly better. The one to go for is the Heed Orbit 1 (there is also a 2).

You know, I'm always surprised at how little the TT2 gets mentioned these days. There must be quite a few about and as has been often said, there is little to go seriously wrong and they're certainly capable of punching well above their weight. The only thing that does worry me slightly is the spring grommets as there just doesn't seem to be any supplies anywhere at all and I don't know what alternatives could be used. Thankfully mine seem OK at the moment.

Yes - Python rule! I have a lot of their LP's, including Matching Tie and Handkerchief which as two sides cut on one, making it a three sides single LP!

I'm Svend.

Steve, you might check with Guy re. the spring seats. He mentioned in a PM that he does have the springs themselves, so likely also the seats that go with them. Maybe not a bad idea to have a few on hand if you intend to keep the table for many more years.

Thanks again for the heads up on the Heed unit. Good to know there's a suitable backup if the TPS fails.

Re. my own TPS and the heat thing -- just to be clear, it's not running overly hot. I was only concerned that it stayed warm when it, and the whole rest of the system, were switched off, telling me that it was still live and using energy when it should have been off and cold. As it turns out this seems to be a normal condition for this unit, and I've now taken to switching off the power to the unit completely. I'm hoping this also prolongs it's lifespan.

Regards,
    Svend

I'm Shane.

Guy has supplies of springs, but not seats as far as I know. Having said that I've never come across a TT2 that needed them replacing and I've never seen one show any signed of deterioration. They were moulded from butyl rubber which is pretty stable. If necessary, it would probably be possible to do a DIY moulding from polyurethane or silicone moulding compound, but I haven't tried it myself. I would be able to make up drawings if need be.
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

I'm Svend.

Thanks for the offer Shane, but the grommets on mine are still in great shape. No sign of drying out or deterioration of any kind. Springs look good too -- only a bit of whitish surface corrosion, presumably from the zinc galvanizing, but no rust visible.

BTW, I wanted to mount the R200 last night, but the dang cable connector popped off the bottom of the arm and ripped off two of the little arm wires . After much cussing and swearing I calmed down enough to attempt a soldering job -- not easy! those wires are as fine as hair. I think I finally succeeded after three tries, and have continuity from every terminal at the end of the arm to the RCAs. I'll quickly test the arm back on the Planar deck to make sure it works, before I take the trouble to mount it on the Heybrook. I also called around the area here to see if anyone would do a rewire of this arm -- no go; no one will touch it. Hope it's still OK...

Best,
    Svend

I'm Svend.

Shane, just curious...how well would a low mass tonearm work on the TT2? A friend has an ADC LMF-2 carbon fibre arm, 8g effective mass. He's willing to sell it to me for a great price - less than what a rewire of the R200 would cost. Same geo as the Rega arms, so just a drop-in replacement. Comes with an ADC ZLM cartridge. Both the arm and cart seem well-regarded from what I glean from the web comments.

I'm intrigued.... What say you? Any experience with this arm? Or low mass arms in general on the TT2?

Best,
    Svend

I'm Shane.

I have no experience of the ADC arm but I was a big fan of the cartridges back in the day, way better than anything Shure ever came up with. No reason why a low mass arm shouldn't work fine on a TT2. I'm using a Mission 774 on mine and they don't come much lower mass than that. Go for it!

I'm Shane.

Thinking about it, the LMF-2 was one of those things like a Lotus Europa or a C-Class catamaran. All your mates lusted after one but we all ended up with Minis and Enterprises instead and dreams that never quite came true. The difference now of course is that forty years on a C class would probably kill me and I doubt if i could even get into a Europa, but an LMF-2 is still perfectly practical!

Just refreshing my memory on Google, its a gorgeous looking thing, but that long counterweight stub means you'd probably have to run it without the lid.
    Last edited by shane; 19-11-2017 at 14:56.

I'm Svend.

Doubt I could get into a Lotus either... Would need months of yoga training...

I'll go check out the arm later this week. Hope it's still in good shape. Thanks for the insight. Not sure why I thought a super-light arm wouldn't work on the TT2... Maybe because the deck is so solid and well made.

Have a good Sunday!

Svend

PS - I don't have lid for the TT2, so no concern for the long arm stub here...

I'm Shane.

Should you decide one day that you want a lid for it, the original was sourced from Linn, and is identical to the LP12 lid except for the badge. LP12 lids and hinges are still available from Linn but he price will bring tears to your eyes!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast