Geoff, Rob -- thanks for the recommendation of the Goldring and Denon. Both my preamps have MC capability (Sugden C28 and Sony TA-E86B), although the Sony's line section is modded to work as a passive device. I've been playing an el cheapo Technics DD table through the MM section of the Sony, just to see how it works, and it definitely needs more gain...but that's the subject for another thread (coming soon... ). If I end up with an arm on the Heybrook with a removable headshell, then I would love to have both a good MM and a MC to play with. Goldrings happen to be on sale at a Canadian distributor at the moment, and the Eroica LX is on for a very reasonable price. I had my eye on one of the 2000 series MM models - what few user reviews there are, are all very positive about the whole range. Apparently the 2000's are made by Nagaoka, whereas the 1000 series is made in-house in the UK. All have great sound quality, apparently.

As sad as this seems, I have never heard an MC cartridge. I guess I don't know what I'm missing, eh? I think it's time to get me to some shops and have a listen.

Regards,
Svend