+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Heybrook TT2 w. RB300 -- cartridge recommendations

I'm Svend.

Guys, I've read a few comments on some online forums about Goldring stylus QC and durability problems....needles falling off the cantilevers of almost new cartridges, stuff like that... Is there anything to this? Has anyone had any similar issues? Or is this just rubbish, caused by user error, ham-fisted handling when cleaning?

I'm Svend.

On Shane's recommendation re. the Rega R200 arm, I picked up an older model Planar 3 today in great shape. It has this very arm, a glass platter (nice!) and an Ortofon 2M Bronze cartridge. That was one of cartridges on my short list for the Heybrook. The P3 cost about half the price of a new 2M Bronze. So I now have a perfectly good turntable to play with or pass on to my daughters, and a nice cartridge for the Heybrook.

One of the reasons I wanted to go this route was the ability to do a direct arm swap between Heybrook and Planar. Even if the R200 needs a new bias belt, it's probably less work fixing that than building a new arm board for the Heybrook for, say, a Jelco or other arm of different length.

Besides, I've always wanted a simple Rega deck. I think they sound great for what they are, and the old P3 will work great in our second system. With a couple of simple and inexpensive mods, like machined metal subplatter and maybe some motor isolation and bracing, it should make very nice music indeed.

Now to go pick up the Heybrook from the shop and mount that Ortofon!

Regards,
    Svend

I'm Rob.

Result!

I must say I'm quite enjoying the Planar 3 i have here at the moment with an R200 arm (with working bias!).

I'm Shane.

Way to go! As our transatlantic cousins say...

it’s quite likely that if the belt has rotted away, the bias magnets have been left at a suitable setting anyway. A quick check with a suitable tracking test disc will tell you, I use the old HFS69 record, but there are plenty of others. Mind you,I have a suspicion that you’re looking forward to the challenge of changing the bias belt anyway!
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

I'm Svend.

Rob - good to hear that you like the Planar 3. The seller demoed his through McIntosh pre-/power amps and Tannoy speakers. It sounded really great, and he had done nothing to set up the cartridge properly or anything else. It should do far better once I get done with it. Once I'm ready to set up the second system and press the P3 into service, then I will post another thread about maintenance, setup, and sorting out which of the many aftermarket mods are worth it and which are marketing hype. But that's for a later date....

Shane - yes, I patted myself on the back for this find. And, as we also say on this side of the pond, YeeHaw! Just kidding, I never say that... But I might have uttered something similar under my breath (rhymes with Ducking Bight), carrying the P3 to the car.

Remind me how to test for AS function without a test record? I saw a post about that on Vinyl Engine I think, but now I can't find it. Or should I just suck it up and buy a test record? No...don't answer that, I know what your reply will be... Off to Amazon I go....(sigh)...

Quick test on the workbench last night showed that, with tonearm balanced at zero, dialling the AS up and down did seem to make a significant difference as to how fast the arm pulled back to the rest. So from that very unscientific test there seems to be something at work in there.

Say, if I were to post a pic or two of the R200's wiring, would anyone here know if they are stock or a rewire? The RCA plugs seem to be an add-on and rather nice, but I'm not sure about the cables.

I will go pick up the Heybrook tomorrow, have a good few days of listening with the RB300/2M Bronze, then do the arm swap.

Cheers,
    Svend

I'm Shane.

Your bench test would indicate that the bias belt is still intact, but it may be very fragile so don’t be surprised if it fails at some point.

The test record I use has bands of 300Hz test tones at progressively higher levels which allow you to set up tracking weight and bias for minimum mistracking. It’s a pretty old record now, first produced in 1969, it there are plenty of modern equivalents.

IIRC on the stock R200 as fitted to the Planar 3 the signal lead exited the bottom of the arm pillar through a 90 degree captive plastic plug. It was covered in grey cotton woven braid and terminated with moulded PVC RCA plugs. Photos should confirm.
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

I'm Svend.

Here you go...
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Svend.

The cable and plugs are definitely not what you describe. Not sure what brand the cable is (no markings), but the plugs are Acrolink FR-126 (never heard of these)...they seem quite solid.

As for the AS test, I repeated it just now, and at 0 the arm very slowly moves back to the rest; as the dial is moved higher (0.5, 1.0, etc...) it progressively moves faster. I didn't move it past 1.5. So from this test it certainly seems the belt is still intact. Good news!

Svend

I'm Svend.

Here are some pics of the headshell leads...
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Svend.

For future reference, I found another very detailed thread on repairing the R200 bias belt:

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntabl...p?f=32&t=49784

Some very good pictures here and good step by step description.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast