+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Heybrook TT2 w. RB300 -- cartridge recommendations

I'm Clive.

Svend - it should be possible to adjust the arm board so it is not skewed relative to the plinth. You can adjust the position if you relax the fixing bolt/nut which will provide a little play for getting it right. Provided it is not knocking against the plinth then it should not effect the sound if it is skewed but visually it is better to have it aligned.

I'm Svend.

Thanks Clive -- It's definitely not touching the sides, although it's pretty close...couple of millimetres. I will try adjusting that at some point -- there's still some tweaking to be done.... Right now I'm just happy to have it playing music (see next post )

Best,
    Svend

I'm Svend.

Hurrah! The Heybrook is playing sweet music!

IMG_20171107_204929_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20171107_204956_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20171107_205020_hdr.jpg

So happy to have it working. And boy, does it ever sound fantastic! I am absolutely amazed at the detail, clarity and full sound coming out of the speakers from that humble little turntable. Simply wonderful!

More tomorrow...it's quite late in the evening here now and I'm long past being lucid and capable of descriptive prose. Until then....

Svend

I'm Shane.

Smile

Not 100% certain about the acoustic properties of th armoire but it looks amazing!
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

I'm Svend.

Yeah, the armoire is not ideal, granted. But my wife has recently been making little remarks about replacing it . Will have to live with it for a little while yet...

As for the Heybrook, my first impressions of cartridge/arm/deck were "Darn, this is bright!". But upon further listening I realized that it wasn't bright at all, just accurate. It was revealing treble I'd never heard before in my LP's. Coming from a middle-of-the-road Shure cartridge on a low-end Technics TT you can see what I mean. I listened to a range of music -- Beethoven piano concerto, Monk-Rollins, Roxy Music, Sade -- and all sounded fantastic. I was most impressed by the orchestral -- the cartridge/arm/deck handled it extremely well. No muddiness or blurriness - just great composure and delivery. Vocals were remarkable too - just Wow! with every track.

Everything I had read about the 2M Bronze was on display last night. It is VERY detailed and almost analytical. Less warmth than I expected. But presence and soundstage are wonderful. It is very quick, with great drive and punch. Shane, I'm not sure what cartridge you were using on your RB300, but I heard none of the woolliness that you described. The sound has great clarity, detail and dynamics. So from my first initial listening, I'd say the Bronze is a good match to make this arm come alive. Might be the higher compliance(?).

The Bronze does seem to be sensitive to VTA. For a couple of jazz tracks I swapped on a thicker cork mat for the thin felt one, putting the arm slightly tail down, and immediately half the bass disappeared and the soundstage shrank. Not sure if I will play around with VTA any more -- the arm is nicely parallel with felt mat, and any little tweaks to VTA mean a lot of hassle adding a spacer. I will likely look around for a reasonably priced VTA-on-the-fly device for Rega arms -- there are one or two out there that cost more than I paid for the turntable, so further searching is needed.

Whether the Bronze/RB300 will stay on the Heybrook I'm not sure yet. I just ordered a Goldring 1022 to go on the R200 arm, so I will swap those onto the deck sometime soon and compare. Whichever sounds best will stay.

BTW, the phono stage in the Sugden preamp seems to be a good one. Very transparent, good imaging and soundstage. Not sure how an outboard stage could better this, but so far I really like it.

As for isolation, aside from the armoire () I still need to do something about a more solid base and maybe some cones for below the deck. That will come soon...

In the meantime I'll be enjoying the music from the wonderful Heybrook!

Thanks for all your help, everyone, and especially Shane. Much appreciated! And I hope I can repay the favour one day...

Best,
    Svend
    Last edited by Svend N; 08-11-2017 at 19:47.

I'm Shane.

Delighted to help! I look forward to your opinions of the R200, but for the moment just enjoy.

I'm Svend.

Certainly - I will post back here once I get the R200/Goldring on there. Will let the cart break in for a bit before I comment. Looking forward to trying it! Presently searching for a simple, solid VTA adjuster for these arms...Michell seems to have a nicely made one.

Shane, is there any reason I can't leave the bottom plate off the TT2? A couple of these VTA adjusters (Michell, Lim) require access to the bottom threads of the arm. This would be a whole lot simpler on the TT2 if I could just leave the plate off, even just temporarily until I find the VTA sweet spot.

I'm Shane.

No reason why not. It might have a very minor effect on the sound but not significant, and there are no exposed live parts. Should be fine.

I'm Svend.

Good one! As I said, it would only be temporary until I settle on a VTA that works, and of course which cartridge/arm combo I decide on. I'm pretty sure the Mitchell VTA adjusting collar has to be tightened from below. Having the bottom cover off would save a lot of hassle pulling the deck out, inverting it, etc...

Cheers,
    Svend

I'm Svend.

Shane, I noticed that the power supply unit stays warm even when shut off for hours, overnight even. This tells me there's something in there drawing power and converting it to heat. Is this normal? Or is there something funky with the wiring? I've taken to unplugging it after I use it.

Otherwise I am loving the TT2! Spent much time this weekend listening to tunes and trying out different cartridge alignments, VTA's, mats, etc.. Still have some sibilance issues to fix with the 2M Bronze. And I'm frustrated at getting the anti-skate properly set. But all in all the deck is sounding really, really good. The Goldring 1022 should be here this week, then I will swap arms to the R200. Looking forward to that.

Best,
    Svend

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast