+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: thought- Can equalisation be used to make cheap gear sound more "fancy"

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Bob Carver made the claim that he could 'tune' or 'voice' his amplifier so that it would be indistinguishable from any chosen amplifier in a blind listening test.

I believe this challenge was tested by Stereophile magazine who chose the Mark Levinson ML-2 amplifier for Bob Carver to mimic. I don't know if the result was successful.
    Nah, sterophile selected the Conrad-Johnson Premier Four, but did not reveal it for 24 years, because they didn't want to put themselves in a position of picking on any particular brand.

I think he only had 48 hours to do it. The challenge was successful
    Last edited by 1200reasons; 22-10-2017 at 04:34.
    Am I supposed to list my gear down here?

I'm Neil.

Default thought- Can equalisation be used to make cheap gear sound more "fancy"

If you gave your EQ a midbass hump around a certain area, or slightly rolled off the treble then yes I do think EQ can make an amp sound like another amp. EQ may also be used to roll off the extreme bass to better suit a room / speaker interface.
    Last edited by Yomanze; 22-10-2017 at 13:04.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Martin.

I suppose it is worth mentioning that good amplifiers, used within their limits, should all sound pretty similar anyway. The only reason there are differences are that a lot of amps are not very good, or they are intentionally coloured, or they are run into clipping.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by 1200reasons View Post
    Nah, sterophile selected the Conrad-Johnson Premier Four, but did not reveal it for 24 years, because they didn't want to put themselves in a position of picking on any particular brand.

I think he only had 48 hours to do it. The challenge was successful
    My mistake - it was the Audio Critic magazine who put up ML-2s for the Carver Challenge. https://www.stereophile.com/content/...enge-responses
    Barry

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

That would be a very poorly designed Valve amp, well designed valve amps often have a higher frequency response than even the best solid state designs.
    Its true that the output transformer can be the weakest link in the chain though, especialy at low frequencies. All conventional loudspeaker drive units have moving goal posts, where Frequency versus impedance is concerned. Therefore; both topologies of amp will put diffrent amounts of power into the changing speaker impedances, over the audio frequency range.
    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Amps can be voiced but that cannot be replicated with EQ - Clark was using EQ to compensate
    for valve amps rolling off early (i.e before 20khz),
    in other words, correcting frequency response differences.

I think the answer to the o/p is 'No'.
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm nigel.

Oh dear Mr stratmangler.....slight grammar errors due to spellchecker and you blow a fucking gasket.

Shame on you.

I'm Hugo.

Somehow my morning coffee has completely failed to soak in- but I think Carver succeeded in emulating the Mark Levinson too. However, he did at one stage make the mistake of making his amp sound BETTER than the ML, so he had to turn down the performance of his amp.

If he's pulled it off twice (in 48 hours each), one must wonder what's achievable with more time but less genius
    Am I supposed to list my gear down here?

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by sumday View Post
    Oh dear Mr stratmangler.....slight grammar errors due to spellchecker and you blow a fucking gasket.

Shame on you.
    No I don't.
    If your spell checker does that for you then you need to get a better one.
    I asked for clarification, nothing more, and you blow a gasket.
    Shame on you!

Touché
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

What I don't understand, in reference to spellcheckers (and predictive text), is no matter how good or bad they are, presumably YOU still get the chance to 'check' what's there, and make sure all is ok, before hitting the 'Submit Reply' button?

As they say, a poor workman always blames his tools!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Justin.

True but they are a bit of a can't live with / can't live without feature in these days of soft mobile keyboards. Plain annoying either way.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast