+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: New to streaming, please help.

I'm rupert.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    I am happy to explain it for you. The "point" was a response to Dennis' discomfort with the large number of barely differentiated products and wasteful duplication that result from free markets. My view is that the negative aspects of markets are outweighed by the innovation that comes with competition. The result is that one can acquire a digital source for the price of a couple of cd's that wipes the floor with many elite cd players of the last 20 years.

Geoff
    I got your point.

I'm Dennis.

It was a philosophical point, and applies to audio, but when the differences are small . . . . . .

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    It was a philosophical point, and applies to audio, but when the differences are small . . . . . .
    I don't think you have to defend your observation. I, for one, agree with your point. I would say that 90% of what's on the market is a "me too" product!

I'm Martin.

But my point is what are you all streaming when there are good radio stations here and you have record collections to listen to??

A good day with Radio 3 is relaxing and a pure joy

Just havent been sold on streaming. Are any overseas radio stations or music playlists that good? I create my own. You must all be on unlimited broadband with too much time on your hands

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    But my point is what are you all streaming when there are good radio stations here and you have record collections to listen to??

A good day with Radio 3 is relaxing and a pure joy

Just havent been sold on streaming. Are any overseas radio stations or music playlists that good? I create my own. You must all be on unlimited broadband with too much time on your hands
    I stream my own music. I have now ripped my huge cd collection to FLAC format and have the files on a couple of disks. In fact, I am about to transfer it to a new WD 8tb Easystore NAS drive I bought when in the USA recently. My initial reason for ripping my CDs was that I was living overseas and it was getting progressively more expensive to ship and insure my CDs when I went from one country to the next. I have since discovered that the sound of a ripped CD is often better than a physical CD, even when played on a top drive. I think it may be down to the error correction of CD players to which I think my ears are especially susceptible. Whatever the reason, I can now play my CDs on multiple systems around the house either as single CD titles or as part of playlists. The same systems allow me to play titles on Spotify Premium so that I can decide in advance whether a CD title is good enough for me to buy it.

I am now experimenting with ripping those titles in my vinyl collection which never made it to CD so that I can carry those titles with me when I go back overseas in the new year.

As to unlimited broadband, who wouldn't be on unlimited by choice?

Geoff

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    You must all be on unlimited broadband with too much time on your hands
    I'm surprised that you have capped bandwidth.

Any radio I listen to at home is streamed (I live in a geographically interesting area), but because I have a very fast connection the BBC services stream at the highest possible bitrates (the BBC adjusts itself automatically to suit the available bandwidth), and they sound very, very good.
    Good enough to pick up the annoying slapback from the window between the studio and control room when Chris Evans gets a bit excited and shouty during the morning breakfast show.
    The BBC engineers need to adjust the cardioid pattern of the ribbon microphones they use
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Grant.

The extra for unlimited isnt that much, compared to the cost of accidentally going over. Mind you i stream most things so use a lot every month.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Dennis.

I feel very disappointed with the BBC for several reasons.

Their standards of care have plummeted in the last 40 years, they seemingly indifferent to mic. position and proximity effects, (which was at one time their pride), and their programmes are often banal, and patronising as well.

You won't get them to care about cardioid positioning, and on TV they point the mic. away from the mouths down to the laps of presenters, when they could clip it on the other lapel.

R3 has a slight self important condescension on occasions, and Late Junction, which was a gem exposing new creativity 15 years ago seems now to be crammed with smart asses with samplers producing inane abstract noise of little artistic merit.

The point about streaming being higher quality then CD is interesting, one of my friends is of that view.
    Last edited by Pharos; 28-10-2017 at 17:53. Reason: eroors due to drunkenness

montesquieu Guest

I have a Raspberry Pi for sale in the classifieds

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...ight=raspberry

The SPDIF one is sold but the one with built-in DAC is still available (I just forgot to bump it)

All you need alongside this (once it's set up) is a phone app or you can use a browser on your laptop, it's all wireless.

I'm Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by Audio Al View Post
    Whats a bitrate
    The size of the file being used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast