+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: New to streaming, please help.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    I'm not one for any kind of absolutes .... specifically to have Mac as an option waved away because you heard one iffy dem pissed me off. To say any RPi is always and everywhere 'far superior' on that basis is just bollocks and if were me I'd have noted that my statement was a bit daft (and unsupportable) and rowed back from it.

And sorry for the typo.
    Again, I am expressing an opinion based on my subjective experience. The "iffy" demo I referred to was not the first time I had heard a mac based system, and was very good once the Mac was replaced as the source. You may, and clearly do, disagree, but that remains my judgement. taking the Mac out removed a degree of veiling that was very noticeable.

Geoff

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Again, I am expressing an opinion based on my subjective experience. The "iffy" demo I referred to was not the first time I had heard a mac based system, and was very good once the Mac was replaced as the source. You may, and clearly do, disagree, but that remains my judgement. taking the Mac out removed a degree of veiling that was very noticeable.

Geoff
    What you said was:

I will concede that Mac's are easy to use and that has some appeal to certain users but on sound quality, I think the latest batch of pi boards are far superior.

Geoff
    The latest badge of pi boards, 'far superior' to Macs, full stop, no attempt at qualification.

On the basis of one dodgy dem.

Utter bollocks by any standard.

I'm Grant.

its horses for courses tbh. i like my pi but prefer the jriver for my own music. of all the streaming services, spotify is most convenient and sounds very good for lossy, but of the lossless i think deezer sounds best and is a better looking/using experience too....but thats just my pref.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Adam.

confused..I thought the delivery of the file up to the conversion, was of far less importance. Maybe i'm wrong.
    I was led to believe that a good source file (red book or above) delivered to a quality USB / Spdif converter
    and then fed to a well built and well chosen component based DAC was what really mattered?

I suppose it depends on what the control software is doing to the file pre delivery to the USB / Spdif converter.
    Personally I want the software to do as little as possible and deliver the whole file unmolested.
    Are we now saying that different OS on the delivery computers have different sounds? I can't understand that!
    Are we not bypassing the sound cards in the computers by using the kit down the chain?
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    What you said was:

The latest badge of pi boards, 'far superior' to Macs, full stop, no attempt at qualification.

On the basis of one dodgy dem.

Utter bollocks by any standard.
    Again your response perplexes me. I said it was not the first time I had heard a Mac front end. You say it was a dodgy dem, it was not. I had gone in to audition amplifiers and was very pleased with the audition, once the Mac was substituted. My audition improved with the CDP as source.

I clearly indicated a subjective preference using the phrase "I think.."

You are mis-representing my postings, and frankly getting too excitable about the whole business. Calm down. Life is too short.

Enjoy your Mac and fancy DAC but accept that others may have different preferences.

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    confused..I thought the delivery of the file up to the conversion, was of far less importance. Maybe i'm wrong.
    I was led to believe that a good source file (red book or above) delivered to a quality USB / Spdif converter
    and then fed to a well built and well chosen component based DAC was what really mattered?

I suppose it depends on what the control software is doing to the file pre delivery to the USB / Spdif converter.
    Personally I want the software to do as little as possible and deliver the whole file unmolested.
    Are we now saying that different OS on the delivery computers have different sounds? I can't understand that!
    Are we not bypassing the sound cards in the computers by using the kit down the chain?

I believe a great deal is down to timing issues (see Tom's Mutec reclocker). I had my DAC USB board replaced/upgraded and there was a noticeable improvement in microdetail coming through due to the DAC USB having better timing (or rather taking charge of the timing vs. what the timing the computer has).

I also noticed an improvement (not night/day) when I upgraded the lastleg of the ethernet link to a SoTM ethernet cable. Still can't figure out why the improvement but I guess the signal was less molested.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post

I won't pretend to understand all the technical bits, but I understand that the new Allo Digione board was designed to deliver a "bit perfect" stream to a DAC with minimum noise and jitter. That is why it only has an RCA coaxial connection and not an optical one. On the basis of what I am hearing through my system, it has achieved its goal. It is a big improvement on the HifiBerry DIGI+ that I had been using. No, it is not the best source in the world, but for 150 quid, you have to spend a lot more to get a significant improvement.

Geoff

montesquieu Guest

Again your response perplexes me. I said it was not the first time I had heard a Mac front end. You say it was a dodgy dem, it was not. I had gone in to audition amplifiers and was very pleased with the audition, once the Mac was substituted. My audition improved with the CDP as source.

I clearly indicated a subjective preference using the phrase "I think.."

You are mis-representing my postings, and frankly getting too excitable about the whole business. Calm down. Life is too short.

Enjoy your Mac and fancy DAC but accept that others may have different preferences.
    Go back and read what you wrote.

I'm Mike.

Finally I dip my foot into the water. Just got a 4 year old Pioneer n-50 streamer off the bay for £180, signed up to Spotify premium.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Edward.

Do you like?
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast