+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: New to streaming, please help.

I'm Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by r100 View Post
    I guess it depends to what you compare it to
    Yes I agree Laptop Dac is inferior to a dedicated external Dac.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    The extra for unlimited isnt that much, compared to the cost of accidentally going over. Mind you i stream most things so use a lot every month.
    Yep I take the point. Im on a capped system because I might be going walkabout soon and they want me on a new fixed term contract for unlimited.

So yes its odd because they can offer me unlimited a bit cheaper if I commit for 12 to 18 months which I cant do at the moment.

I will see but you are all right in that who goes limited allowance now?

I still love an FM tuner with an outdoor aerial

I'm Mike.

Stupid question. I guess old integrated amps Dacs won't be able to deal with new high res streaming? Was thinking of getting some mid 90s Sony a/v beastie as I need a dac for streaming (don't need phono stage - already a Nak ca-5 I use as a phono amp). I want good quality streaming, as I plan to make this my main source, getting very tired of changing records.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Stewart.

Being a cheapskate I use this no cost option if you already have the equipment.I am not well versed in digital systems so bear with me.
    I have my main speakers connected via to my surround amp using the pre-out left & right into my stereo amp when watching films/TV.

I have a laptop with an HDMI port.To listen to hi-res internet radio I connect the laptop to the Surround Amp via HDMI then switch the Surround Amp to 'Pure Direct' so I only get output to the front left/right pre-outs into my stereo amp.

I believe HDMI can handle most digital formats.I could be wrong.
    Appears to be very good quality or am I missing something?

I'm Stewart.

Being a cheapskate I use this no cost option if you already have the equipment.I am not well versed in digital systems so bear with me.
    I have my main speakers connected via to my surround amp using the pre-out left & right into my stereo amp when watching films/TV.

I have a laptop with an HDMI port.To listen to hi-res internet radio I connect the laptop to the Surround Amp via HDMI then switch the Surround Amp to 'Pure Direct' so I only get output to the front left/right pre-outs into my stereo amp.

I believe HDMI can handle most digital formats.I could be wrong.
    Appears to be very good quality or am I missing something?

I'm Grant.

i extract the audio from hdmi with an hd audio box. you sound like you are using the amp as equiv
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Mike.

Was thinking Pioneer N-50 for streaming now, anyone used these? Cheaper than a Naimicute.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Was thinking Pioneer N-50 for streaming now, anyone used these? Cheaper than a Naimicute.
    I would be very wary of buying any hardware players that currently support Spotify.

Spotify change their delivery method from time to time, and it's not Spotify that has to provide the software patches required. So with the Pioneer N-50, for example, you'll be screwed when Pioneer make the decision not to provide the patches to make things work again.
    That day will come, and your N-50 will be useless, and Pioneer will not be interested in fixing the problem. As the N-50 has been around for 5 years or so I suspect that non patch day will be sooner, rather than later.

Stick with stuff that's software based, and well supported.
    I have a RasPi running piCorePlayer, which runs LMS for me. LMS is what I run my Squeezebox Touch players on, and LMS has a very dedicated community that continually updates things, when service delivery changes come down the line.

piCorePlayer and LMS are open source, so effectively free. Donations are accepted, as it pays for web space.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    I would be very wary of buying any hardware players that currently support Spotify.

Spotify change their delivery method from time to time, and it's not Spotify that has to provide the software patches required. So with the Pioneer N-50, for example, you'll be screwed when Pioneer make the decision not to provide the patches to make things work again.
    That day will come, and your N-50 will be useless, and Pioneer will not be interested in fixing the problem. As the N-50 has been around for 5 years or so I suspect that non patch day will be sooner, rather than later.

Stick with stuff that's software based, and well supported.
    I have a RasPi running piCorePlayer, which runs LMS for me. LMS is what I run my Squeezebox Touch players on, and LMS has a very dedicated community that continually updates things, when service delivery changes come down the line.

piCorePlayer and LMS are open source, so effectively free. Donations are accepted, as it pays for web space.
    WHat the hell is a patch? I have no idea what you're talking about! But thanks anyway.

I'm Tony.

Apologies if this has already been covered but I'm wondering if the simplest solution to your requirements would be this:

https://www.allo.com/sparky-eu/boss-player.html @ approx £105

This is a complete plug and play solution as you can order it with the streaming system pre-installed.

• The Boss player would be connected to your amp via RCA.
    • It can be accessed via computer, phone, or tablet.
    • It can be accessed wired or wirelessly.
    • It will stream Spotify and Youtube content.
    • It can access most Web Radio (including all BBC stations)
    • It can access any future music storage system (wired or wirelessly)
    • It can be updated online easily (using a simple screen on computer, phone or tablet)

and it sounds very good indeed!
    A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast