+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: New to streaming, please help.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    Mike

Sorry your latest effort has not worked out. In this thread you have been given various ideas and with the risk of yet another here is another idea.

Forget about using the Pioneer as a streamer but use it simply as a DAC. In fact the N50 has a good DAC and goes to 24/192 (the N50A goes even higher).

So to use the Pioneer as a DAC simply connect it to your laptop via USB, install Spotify on your laptop and press 'play'. Simples.

Well actually you may have to go through one or two small steps but only need to be done once. For example:

1. You will need a USB cable. You may well have one lying around - it is the exact same format as most printers use.
    2. There are two USB inputs on your Pioneer - use the one that corresponds to the U shaped one - the other one is for USB sticks etc.
    3. You may have to install a DAC driver on your Laptop. Not sure which Windows version you have. If you have Windows 10 version 1709 then the drivers may install automatically. If the driver does not install automatically then follow instructions here.

For added functionality and assuming you have a smartphone of some sort install the Spotify app on your phone. If you do this and Spotify is running on your Laptop then you will be given the option of using Spotify on your phone as a remote controller where the music will play on your Laptop (and hence to your DAC and HiFi.)

E

By the way I read it is not possible for your Pioneer unit to upgraded to the latest Spotify version.
    Thanks Edward, so when you plug your laptop directly into the Pioneer then it acts merely as a dac? TBH I don't even know what a streamer does!
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Mike.

What about Bluetooth? The Pioneer N-50K doesn't have it built in, but you can buy an adapter. Anyway off to Maplins for a USB cable so I can at least hear something through this box.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Grant.

type a to b usb cable.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Thanks Edward, so when you plug your laptop directly into the Pioneer then it acts merely as a dac? TBH I don't even know what a streamer does!
    Your Pioneer does various things - all of it revolves around the DAC contained within. And yes you can plug your laptop into the Pioneer and will get sounds. And I bet you will be very pleased with the quality.

I don't suggest you start buying more stuff (e.g. bluetooth) for now, go with what you have and work from there. It is all very easy. If you wish feel free to give me a bell and I can walk you through things. PM for contact details.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Mike.

Well, managed to get iTunes on my laptop, and it found the Pioneer N-50K wirelessly, obviously the Pioneer is connected via the Ethernet cable. The laptop is connected to the internet on wifi. The display on the Pioneer says 'Airplay', but tried to connect Spotify via the Airplay app and it wouldn't work. Also thought Airplay was for apple devices only, my laptop is windows. So really don't know what's going on here.

Anyway, the iTunes app - the volume control doesn't work! Which is a pain, as my amp doesn't have remote control........And the SQ, its not bad, but I find it harsh, listening to some jazz now, Coltrane etc, and the overall quality, detail etc is close to my vinyl set up, but the sound has a harshness which I find irritating, almost unlistenable. Don't know whether other streaming services would sound better, or the dac in the Pioneers not up to much?
    Last edited by Mikeandvan; 11-03-2018 at 20:33.

I'm Simon.

Mike
    I also have a Pioneer N50 and have done so for a number of years, and can only share how i’ve managed to solve the streaming conundrum...
    My method of streaming depends of what service I am using. If I am using Spotify, which I do for the majority of the time, I use a ChromeCast Audio (best £15 I’ve probably ever spent on hifi) which I’ve plugged directly into my Caiman Dac. With this I am able to use the Spotify app on any device and ‘cast’ directly to the chromecast. If you don’t have a separate Dac you can connect the chromecast directly to the N50 and use it’s dac.
    However, if I am feeling particular flush, or there are free offers for either Tidal or Qobuz, I use an old android tablet on to which I have downloaded Bubble UPNP. This is an app which links to tidal and qobuz and a number of other streaming services (but alas not Spotify) and then allows these services to be ‘rendered’ to the N50. I’m still not sure what rendering is (other than the stuff on the outside of my house) but it means there is a wireless method of streaming. It will also connect to a home NAS if you have one and can compile play lists across a number of sources. I think there is a way for it to do something similar with Spotify but you need to ‘root’ your android device. Tried this once, failed and only just managed to recover any functionality.....
    As you have an android phone, you could download bubble upnp, from memory I think it’s a couple of quid for the full version, and then take up one of the free offers rom Tidal or Qobuz and give it a go.
    This probably sounds very complicated but it’s not; if a Luddite like me can get it up and running I’m sure you can.
    Sorry for the rambling.....

I'm Edward.

Well, managed to get iTunes on my laptop, and it found the Pioneer N-50K wirelessly, obviously the Pioneer is connected via the Ethernet cable. The laptop is connected to the internet on wifi. The display on the Pioneer says 'Airplay', but tried to connect Spotify via the Airplay app and it wouldn't work. Also thought Airplay was for apple devices only, my laptop is windows. So really don't know what's going on here.

Anyway, the iTunes app - the volume control doesn't work! Which is a pain, as my amp doesn't have remote control........And the SQ, its not bad, but I find it harsh, listening to some jazz now, Coltrane etc, and the overall quality, detail etc is close to my vinyl set up, but the sound has a harshness which I find irritating, almost unlistenable. Don't know whether other streaming services would sound better, or the dac in the Pioneers not up to much?

That is good news Mike that something works. I personally avoid iTunes unless I have to for some very specific reasons as I consider it all very confusing - and it is Apple.

Still recommend that you have Spotify on your Laptop and output directly to your Pioneer DAC with Spotify on your phone as a controller ( which includes volume control). Or alternatively, as many other have recommended, Chromecast Audio.

Good luck anyway.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    That is good news Mike that something works. I personally avoid iTunes unless I have to for some very specific reasons as I consider it all very confusing - and it is Apple.

Still recommend that you have Spotify on your Laptop and output directly to your Pioneer DAC with Spotify on your phone as a controller ( which includes volume control). Or alternatively, as many other have recommended, Chromecast Audio.

Good luck anyway.
    Thanks Edward, I'll try both of those suggestions. After that think I'll work refining the streaming sound, as I really am getting tired of changing records, so I want it as my main listening source. If that includes buying a fancy DAC then so be it.

I'm Geoff.

Thanks Edward, I'll try both of those suggestions. After that think I'll work refining the streaming sound, as I really am getting tired of changing records, so I want it as my main listening source. If that includes buying a fancy DAC then so be it.
    I don't know about a fancy DAC but I have the Caiman SEG (like many AoS members) and suggest it is hard to beat at its price level. Although I use a RPi/Digione for main listening, I also have a Chromecast Audio connected to the SEG and can confirm it works very well. The Caiman SEG is around £200 so that it might be an option for you if can get a decent price on your Pioneer which does not seem to have been the best solution for your needs. The Chromecast works with Spotify, Deezer and numerous web radio services.

Geoff

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    I don't know about a fancy DAC but I have the Caiman SEG (like many AoS members) and suggest it is hard to beat at its price level. Although I use a RPi/Digione for main listening, I also have a Chromecast Audio connected to the SEG and can confirm it works very well. The Caiman SEG is around £200 so that it might be an option for you if can get a decent price on your Pioneer which does not seem to have been the best solution for your needs. The Chromecast works with Spotify, Deezer and numerous web radio services.

Geoff
    Thanks Geoff, I'm struggling to see the point of this Pioneer thing altogether!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast