+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: New to streaming, please help.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    What did you rip your CDs to?
    Which format?
    Apple stuff could be AIFF, which is uncompressed PCM, or ALAC (Apple Lossless).
    iTunes can also rip to MP3, which is not Apple stuff, and it probably also does AAC, which is again not Apple stuff.
    I didn't rip my cds, got a cdp to play them. Just like I got a TT to play my few vinyls, gonna keep the hardware just in case the internet breaks down, you never know.......
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    I didn't rip my cds......
    So you're playing stuff you downloaded from the iTunes store?
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Mike.

So you're playing stuff you downloaded from the iTunes store?
    Yes, well, just listen to iTunes live. Whats the difference between downloading and just pressing play? (please be patient!).
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Grant.

Default New to streaming, please help.

Streaming is usually classed as where the music is stored on their servers. Downloads come from your hdd
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Streaming is usually classed as where the music is stored on their servers. Downloads come from your hdd
    I see, hard drive, on a computer? (please be patient).

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Yes, well, just listen to iTunes live. Whats the difference between downloading and just pressing play? (please be patient!).
    In theory there shouldn't be any difference in quality - both are AAC at 256kbps.
    The live play thing does depend on the quality of your internet connection, so you might suffer from occasional buffering during playback.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Mike.

In theory there shouldn't be any difference in quality - both are AAC at 256kbps.
    The live play thing does depend on the quality of your internet connection, so you might suffer from occasional buffering during playback.
    Thanks, bit bewildering having all this choice of music, don't know where to start. Today played a few tracks I'd not heard in ages, there's other stuff I'd like to hear, but can't remember what they're called!

I'm Grant.

I see, hard drive, on a computer? (please be patient).
    Well a local one so most likely. You then are using local wifi within house rather than the internet
    Most streaming services gave ability to download, usually on portable devices so you can play when you've no internet like on your phone. It's encrypted so folk can't nick it tho and would have to be played via the service. Like Spotify for instance.

Hard to tell why the volume wasn't working Might be the way it's being connected and played I.e. What's got the control at the vc stage. Might be the unit and thus only adjustable via that. Or there might be a setting to lock volume at a particular level
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Well a local one so most likely. You then are using local wifi within house rather than the internet
    Most streaming services gave ability to download, usually on portable devices so you can play when you've no internet like on your phone. It's encrypted so folk can't nick it tho and would have to be played via the service. Like Spotify for instance.

Hard to tell why the volume wasn't working Might be the way it's being connected and played I.e. What's got the control at the vc stage. Might be the unit and thus only adjustable via that. Or there might be a setting to lock volume at a particular level
    Thanks, its becoming clearer, steep learning curve and all that. Gotta get a usb cable and a chromecast so I can try out other things......

I'm Mike.

Another luddite question. Yesterday finally got a usb - a to b - cable and connected laptop to usb input on Pioneer, tried playing tracks from YouTube but the sound was all wrong, barely making a sound, just like a muffled sound.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast